Osteoarthritis, suggestions on pain relief — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Osteoarthritis, suggestions on pain relief

Boyden1964
Boyden1964 Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
edited July 2019 in Cerebral palsy
Just had diagnosis of osteoarthritis can anybody suggest the best ways of managing the pain very limited on what pain relief I can use due other health conditions. Any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Boyden1964, I'm sorry to hear you are in pain, how are you feeling about the diagnosis? I have found heat to be really helpful as pain relief but I also know some people benefit from ice. When I'm in bed I also prop myself up with pillows and it can help to have some under my knees.
    Scope

• Boyden1964
    Hi Chloe still trying to get my head around the diagnosis. The hardest thing to except is not being able to do things as well as I used to. Like from being able to walk I used to walk at least 10 miles a day I am lucky if I can walk two without my knees feet and ankles killing me. But I push myself to do it housework is also a struggle. I have found heat is good but can not use ice due to having Raynards. I use a wedge pillow but will try putting some pillows under my knees. Thanks for your suggestions.
  • Chloe_Scope
    That's understandable @Boyden1964, it can take a while to adjust to a new diagnosis and that's okay. Being able to compare what you used to be able to do can be upsetting, do you have much support around you? I found talking it through with people really helped me to process what was happening, or even just writing. 

I'm the same with ice, it would just have the opposite affect of helping! I hope the pillows help, please let me know :)
    Scope

• Boyden1964
    Chole I do not have any support around me my family think just because I look fine on the outside that I am ok. Have given up on trying to explain. They just don't understand how it is affecting me and how it makes me feel or they can see but choose to ignore it. Would my GP practice know if there is a support group in my area as I think it would help me a great deal. Will let you know how I get on with the pillows.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Boyden1964, I'm sorry to hear you don't have any family support. In terms of support groups within your area, here is a link which enables you to search based on your location. Or, there is a database from verses arthritis that allows you to do the same thing :)

I hope these help!
    Scope

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Boyden1964, I find an ice pack on the painful area works best for me, along with my painkillers of course!  I hope you get the support that you need.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Boyden1964, did the pillow work at all? :)
    Scope

• Boyden1964
    Hi yes the pillow did help. Thank you for the suggestion. Over done things yesterday paying for it today. Had to have bloods done walked to the surgery and back knee's and feet were killing me. Had a short rest and out again walking the dog. Still trying to learn my limits mind is saying yes and my body is saying no. Hope you are having a good day don't seem to have many of those at the moment.
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm so glad it helped @Boyden1964! I hope you are able to rest over the weekend. I know it can be difficult to know your own limits - especially when your body is so adamant to stop! Hope you have a lovely weekend too :)
    Scope

• Boyden1964
    Hope you have lovely weekend too.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    My Mum takes ibuprofen for hers, and she swears by glucosamine and chondroitin (supplements).

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.