Carers tickets when attending events — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers tickets when attending events

lylesangie
lylesangie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all does anyone else believe it is wrong that people have to buy two tickets to attend an event. Marc my son needs 24 hour care, he has capacity been to college has NVQs really clever socialable young man, as his cerebral palsy is very severe he requires a carer to support him pushing his chair, eating and drinking etc, he loves to attend events but finds it financially difficult to pay for his own ticket and a carers ticket most places are very understanding and offer free or reduced tickets prices. I'm having a bit of an issue with yeovilton air day.  They offer no concessions at all. I called and asked about carers tickets was informed the carer would be allowed a free ticket so Marc purchased his ticket. We were told today that is not the case Marc now has to buy a ticket at full adult price for his carer he can not really afford to do this so now will have to ask for his ticket to be refunded as he can not go without a carer!! I believe that this is discrimination. If Marc could walk I could sort of understand but as he can not attend alone I don't believe it is fair to charge him for two tickets. Does anyone know if this is discrimination. I was told the original advise I was given was the lady mixed up as they have an enclosure for disabled people and that is free for carers to enter inside. I asked what was in the enclosure for free they said a seating area disabled parking and disabled toilets also cadets incase you need any assistance. I find it totally laughable especially given this is a major event. I'd be really interested in your thoughts on this thank you 

Comments

• buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear about what has happened with your son and his carer's tickets, @lylesangie.  This must be really disappointing for him.  I have only ever experienced going to events/concerts where the person attending with me has got in for free as my carer.  So the way your son and his carer have been treated sounds quite harsh to me.  Good information/advice in the link provided by @buzzer.  Let us know how you get on with this.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, most events/places I go do give a complimentary ticket for my carer. The CEA card for cinemas does this, as do my 2 local theatres. It varies around the country as to what is happening and where.

I agree that it should be automatic if someone cant go anywhere without a carer.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lylesangie, I'm very sorry this post got missed!

Most places do offer carers tickets, so I'm sorry this event didn't. Did you manage to sort anything out?
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.