Can they approve you for a blue badge by mistake? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can they approve you for a blue badge by mistake?

floralora
floralora Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
edited July 2019 in Transport and travel
I'm not sure if I'm worrying too much since I'm still fighting for PIP, but I applied for a blue badge since I really need it and I can't wait to see the tribunal for my appeal. I sent my application off expecting to have an assessment (and worried that it would be exactly like my PIP assessment and they'd reject my application and say I'm fine when I'm not), but I got accepted purely on my form and I paid the £10 fee. Is there a chance they accidentally approved me for one by mistake? I live in Essex, if that helps. 

Comments

• KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    I've never had a blue badge in Essex but have had them in other counties.
    I think you've probably given them enough information to satisfy them that you need one.

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, no blue badges are not given out to all who apply, most people have an assessment. I know of person who had three assessments failled each time a friendly health professional she know wrote on her next application form and a blue badge was given. Been told to use walking sick but refused to do so. So your information supplied with your application was ok
  • jaja
    jaja Community member Posts: 76 Pioneering

I worry about these kinds of things too so I know how you feel. Having said that I often find that the worry is unfounded, although it doesn't help me at the time.

Not having PIP doesn't mean you wont be given a blue badge. High rate PIP just means automatic eligibility. I found details of eligibility on the Essex county council website if you would like to check. I'm unsure if I can post the website address here.

There are many reasons why a blue badge could be issued.

J

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    My son instantly qualified based on the severity of his physical disabilities. He does not walk and even has a couple of pairs of braces to use at home as well.
    We do lots of physical therapy with him daily and he was just measured for a new pair of leg braces today. On our application form I wrote quite a bit more than I wanted to share.
    You can check your eligibility at gov.uk. Try not to worry. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @floralora,
    The eligibility information @jaja mentioned can be found here. I hope it helps and please try not to worry too much about it. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.