Meeting criteria for disabled relief — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Meeting criteria for disabled relief

Options
Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
A member of our community has got in touch asked us to post the following to find out if anyone has had a similar experience.

I had a call from a representative from the council tax dept yesterday, wanting to ask some questions about if I still met the criteria for disabled relief..which is something I've had around 20 years since they converted the bathroom into a wetroom for me.

It seems that apart from that I now also have to have a house that has a room set aside for my disability, a second bathroom Or a separate bedroom, or kitchen  or use a wheelchair in the house..thankfully something not required at the moment.

As I live in a 3 bed 1bathroom and kitchen house, our family home and wouldn't have the money to do these additions..it took 3 yrs to get the grant for the bathroom. I was somewhat taken aback. Also the fact they just cold called me was really not that satisfactory.

Today I rang to see if it was a genuine call..and it was..and apart from being told how much my new payment would be from August..was told I could contest it by text if I wanted to.  I was told it was the property not the person that was assessed..but surely using a wheelchair in the home is not property related as such.

I am just wondering if any other councils are now changing their criteria..

I have to say this has come as a bit of a blow. And am quite upset by it. How many other people have been put into the same position.  

Community Manager
Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.