Insurance on motability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Insurance on motability

babscat
babscat Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
Hi everyone,
I have been awarded ongoing enhanced mobility for PIP, so I’m looking at getting a car through the motability scheme.
The problem is this: my husband is my carer and works part-time on a self employed basis as a photographer. He only goes out on a photo shoot once or twice a month, maximum, as the majority of his work is at home on the computer. He works about 12 hours a week all together, 
I used to drive but due to health problems I haven’t driven for over three years, so my husband will be the main driver. 
Do you think they will be happy for him to drive the car to photo sessions? If not he’ll have to consider doing something else.
thank you.

Comments

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited July 2019

@bobcat
    The disability car is for the disabled person only. So your husband cannot use it for work or Business. But he can be registered as the main driver and take you anywhere you need to get too.

Well done on your ongoing award btw.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    A motability car can only be used for the benefit of the claimant, but you do not have to be in the car. For example your husband could legitimately use the car to pick up your medication but not to go to the pub
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    @bobcat
    This will help you understand futher.

Misuse would include:

• Not giving the disabled person the benefit of the car
    • Driving whilst uninsured or banned
    • Using the car in a criminal act
    • Lending, sub-leasing or selling the car
    • Using the car for unauthorised business purposes, for example, as a taxi or delivery vehicle
    • Not taking proper care of your car
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• babscat
    Thank you Government_needs_reform for your swift reply.
    We did think that might be the case.
    I had been on indef DLA and then transferred to PIP. First assessment was a nightmare and only given two years award, with a review after 10 months, so to get ongoing, until ‘at least 2029’ was a massive relief!! 

• babscat
    Thank you CockneyRebel,
    Thankfully my husband never goes to the pub! Lol. 

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    A Motability car is for your benefit only. For example your husband could take the car to pick up your medication without you. He can not however decide to take the car to go food shopping without you or drive to a pub alone. Hope this helps you understand what the rules are. 
    edited July 2019
    @bobscat your welcome glad to help. At least now you can relax now having your ongoing award?

I also get ongoing PIP and I bought a 4 year old car with less the 20.000 miles on the clock. I was on Motability but to have the car from them really was not worth keeping as I was not using it much.

That may be a way to go if you can afford to do it that way or you only do low milage.

My insurance is only £220 a year. Oh zero tax also.
    ⬇️

• babscat
    April2018mom,
    That sounds crazy to me! My husband invariably has to go food shopping without me as I am too ill to leave the house - if he didn’t we would starve! 
    I think I’d better give Motability a call on Monday. If those really are the rules it would be useless for us and for many other disabled people too.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    The mobility car can be used to go food shopping because this will benefit yourself too.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • babscat
    Government_needs_reform,
    unfortunately, as my husband is my carer, and can therefore only earn a very limited amount, we don’t have the money to be able to buy a car. We’ve been leasing a car, but that started when my husband was still working, before my health deteriorated even further. We’ve now found ourselves in catch 22. I don’t think any companies would lend us money for a car, but we need one as I can’t walk more than a few feet. Worse case will be that he’ll have to give up the photo work and we’ll have to tighten our belts even more! 
    edited July 2019
    @bobscat Sorry to here this, it's hard trying to balance the books so to speak. Maybe just pick up one for a few quid for now and save your mobility money, that's how I done it.

Also added below here is for a few people confused by the usage of the vehicle.. From the Motability site. We’ll ask you to make sure: The car is used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person.

This does not mean that the disabled person needs to be in the car for every journey. In practice, this means other named drivers in the household can use the car for shopping and other routine activities, as long as the disabled customer will benefit Only drivers approved by RSA's standard insurance underwriting criteria and listed on your Certificate of Motor Insurance can drive the car*
    ⬇️

• KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    Would it be possible for you to go with him on his photo shoot ?
    Might not be a problem then.
  • poppy123456
    babscat said:
    Government_needs_reform,
    unfortunately, as my husband is my carer, and can therefore only earn a very limited amount, we don’t have the money to be able to buy a car. We’ve been leasing a car, but that started when my husband was still working, before my health deteriorated even further. We’ve now found ourselves in catch 22. I don’t think any companies would lend us money for a car, but we need one as I can’t walk more than a few feet. Worse case will be that he’ll have to give up the photo work and we’ll have to tighten our belts even more! 
    As you're already leasing a car then you will need to speak to the finance company first because there could be penalties if you end the lease agreement early. It maybe worth you continuing with this lease until the end and then think about a mobility car later.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • babscat
    poppy123456 Our private lease finishes this November, so we won’t be ending the agreement  early.  :)
  • babscat
    KG100 unfortunately I am generally not very well so it would be unlikely I’d be able to go. The photo shoots are really for my benefit because without the income, which isn’t allowed to be a lot anyway, finances will be crazily tight ☹️
  • poppy123456
    It's still working. My advice is to ring motability tomorrow morning and ask them.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @babscat

There is nothing to worry about.

What you have been quoted on this thread are the guidelines of the Motability Scheme.

There is no hint of abuse of the scheme, in that the car will be used by your husband, to maintain joint income of the household (for your specific benefit).

In legal terms, all you need to prove is a “causation link” in any use of the car.

In your case, without said photo shoot, destitution might await you.

I provide a worked example, I have a Motability car, my wife has COPD, as a consequence each month she attends her GP, using the car (without me).

There is a causation link, in that if my wife does not use the car, then her health and well being will be put at risk.

As a further consequence so will mine.

Let us know if you need more assistance or guidance.

Best wishes.

• babscat
    atlas46

Thank you so much for your response. That to me sounds like common sense!

The fact is that my husband gave up full time work three years to become my carer as I have, unfortunately, gradually lost the ability to be independent. So .... the finances have been pretty tight!?

On average he only does about 1.5 photo shoots a month .... (he can’t earn more or we’ll lose the Carers allowance) but it makes a real difference to our household budget. 

We’re going to phone motability tomorrow and ask them. 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @babscat

Make sure you explain in detail about your financial situation.

Also the fact, if you were able to drive, you would drive your husband to his photo shoots..

But due to your disabilities you are now unable to drive.

Also, stress the causation link in using the car, to maintain you modest household income ( for your specific benefit).

I have always found the staff at Motability, both friendly and helpful.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
    @bobscat @atlas46 Iam sorry to say this but I still don't believe Motability will allow the use of that car for any work or Business activity.

bobscat I've read here your car at present is due to run out in November why not ask Mobility if you can buy the car of them, I don't know how much you would have to pay but worth asking.

Atlas46 Mobility I've too always found them very accommodating, But I'm pretty sure the insurance that's supplied is not for Business purposes.

bobscat I hope Mobility can do it for you and can proof me wrong, but I don't think I will be on this.

Good luck.

⬇️

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.