ESA - UC ?? Dilemma — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA - UC ?? Dilemma

emmarose35
emmarose35 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi 
I am currently receiving UC and am in the Limited Capability For work and work related activity group aka Support Group. I also receive PIP. I am very grateful to be in this position . 
Last year when I sought advice from my nursing union RCN it was said there would be no financial benefit to me claiming New Style ESA as opposed to UC. Now I am tentatively looking at potential future part time work it seems I may be better off financially if I was under contribution based ESA instead of UC as the allowances are better ? Please can you explain this for me and what the allowances are … 
I would appreciate an explanation in as simple a language as poss as ive been onto benefits and work forum and am just getting more tangled up with it … 
I was paying NI and tax on a 30hrs a week staff nurse wage up until OCT 18..

Thank you for your support and heres hoping I can get my head around this 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited July 2019
    Hello @emmarose35 and welcome to the community!

Whether you’d be better off on New Style ESA or UC LCWRA would depend heavily on your personal circumstances, there isn’t a strict rule that works for everyone. 

It would depend on things like whether you have a partner that works, your anticipated income and whether you get help with housing under Universal Credit.

If it’s easier and you would rather not reveal that information on a public forum, you can always email us at community@scope.org.uk or call our helpline on 0808 800 3333.

Alternatively you could contact your local CAB who would be able to go through your options. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Did you sort it OP?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.