Difficulty opening jars and bottles? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Difficulty opening jars and bottles?

Sibbo
Sibbo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
When I married my German wife 18 years ago, she brought with her a German style of jar & bottle opener which I'd never seen before, and which she'd owned for several years prior.
As someone with no dexterity and very limited gripping strength, I couldn't believe how easily I could open jars & bottles when I used this simple device. I have never come across a better aid for such tasks.
Long story short - Years ago I wanted to buy one for a family member with the same condition, but I could not find this product ANYWHERE.
Several days ago I decided to search again - and this time I FOUND it. I immediately ordered 3 of them for my relative and two friends.
No strong grip or scissor action is required, so elderly, arthritic, and disabled people can easily use it. 
It is simply pushed over the lid and then twisted like a lever to gently open the lid.
If you Google this name, you will find it on the internet: WESTMARK 10502270 UNIVERSALOFFNER
I paid £7:71 for each of them. 
I hope that this helps others with the frustrating problem of opening such things.

Comments

• M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    @Sibbo Hi Sibbo, welcome to the forum! Please have a look at our our discussions groups, we hope you enjoy using them and look forward to talking to you more.

Thanks for the advice, I had a look and it appears amazon.co.uk sell it for that price. I am sure there will be lots of people that will find this useful.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sibbo   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide and advise new members who join the community.

I have fingers missing and have problems opening jars, bottles. Have no strength in my hands limited.

Use a tin opener for cans.

All jars and bottles have air in them.  So when manufactured sealed. To release the air tap the lid a few times on the kitchen unit.

Air released and then can unscrew lid. Straight away.  

Works every time might need a few go's but usually successful every time.

Have a tea towel handy just in case lid starts to leak  be careful.  Use a bowl underneath.

I worked as a volunteer in Kitchen first tip I learnt.

Sorry if you have spent money .  Unnecessarily.

Please if we can help with anything please ask.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sibbo
    Sibbo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for comment M Anthony & thespiceman.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.