Cooling matt for full time wheelchair users — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cooling matt for full time wheelchair users

Kate_Scope
Kate_Scope Scope Posts: 74 Pioneering
Hi everyone, with this recent hot spell I have been trying to rack my brains for my daughter who is a full-time wheelchair user to be more comfortable. (it can't be nice being sat all day in this heat) 
I have found the puuuuuuuurfect solution :)

A pet cooling matt from B&M bargains for £5.00 

I have one for the office too, it is working for me so far 

Here is the link if anyone is interested 

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/pet-cooling-mat-small-300583

this is a cheaper option than any others I have seen 

Kate 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing this @Kate_Scope, great idea!
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What a good idea. I bought a fan for my son’s room it helps him cool down quicker during summer. Perhaps this is something that may also work? I tested out several fans before deciding. I even read reviews online. How do I keep my son cool on days out? I have tried keeping him in the shade and insisting he has plenty of water. Any other suggestions welcome! 
  • Kate_Scope
    well the Matt works, my daughter used it yesterday while she was out and about- it works for three hours and then has to be not used for one hour and then the gel gets reactivated. 

when Eve was younger we also Used the pram umbrellas (universal) that would fit on her wheelchair. 

We used to freeze water bottles and she used to drink the ices water when it was like slush. 

if I think of any more I will let you know :)

Kate 

• April2018mom
    well the Matt works, my daughter used it yesterday while she was out and about- it works for three hours and then has to be not used for one hour and then the gel gets reactivated. 

when Eve was younger we also Used the pram umbrellas (universal) that would fit on her wheelchair. 

We used to freeze water bottles and she used to drink the ices water when it was like slush. 

if I think of any more I will let you know :)

Kate 

Thanks. A friend suggested wet face towels but I’m not a fan of that because it will mean more laundry for me. 
  • Kate_Scope
    that made me laugh :) more laundry is never good- although a wet towel over a fan when you are home does work and cools the room more than usual 

• April2018mom
    Thanks again! I’ll try that tonight and report back tomorrow. I went to bed last night using a freezable hot water bottle. I filled it up with cold water and left it in the freezer for a hour before bed. It worked. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.