Do You Get Out & About? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do You Get Out & About?

pollyanna1052
pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
Just wondering as I haven`t been out for 16 days! I normally get taken out once or twice a week. But my outing carer has been on holiday. My stand by carer has another lady so cant give me more than a couple of hours. A social group I go fortnightly, had to be cancelled by me, as I was flattened by the heat!

Next week I have 2 outings!!!! One is a re-union with ex work colleagues I haven`t seen for years and the other is with a friend I haven`t seen for 4 years! Hope nothing stop these dates! xx

Comments

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I very rarely go out. Get to the corner shop once or twice a week some weeks, and sometimes to the shop a bit further away. Occasionally my partner gets me out (gripping his hand!). Went out to a local pub for my birthday for a bit, but had to take lots of meds, and pain was really bad for 2 days after, as was fatigue. Went to friend's place with other friend a few weeks ago for small gathering. Hid in bathroom a lot, and in her room. She understands anxiety, luckily. In the year and a half before end-of-May, I hadn't attended any social events due to anxiety.... Wish I could get an outing carer! My anxiety is easier to deal with when someone else is with me, and if I have to take lots of pain meds I don't have to worry about being taken advantage of....
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Good for you @pollyanna and I hope all goes well with your jaunts out next week.  As regards getting out and about I couldn't go anywhere without my Motability car with my scooter in the boot.  Bus and train travel is out of the question.    I love being outdoors but worry about being caught in a sudden shower or even a thunderstorm as in the last few days.  The scooter's electrics don't like water and I don't like indoor shopping malls.  Once you've seen one you've seen them all.  Apart from that it's a case of minding the grandkids who still have another 4 weeks off school.  

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• t0nkys
    t0nkys Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    I barely go out unless my dad drives me somewhere. Sometimes I can get to the corner shop but other days it feels impossible. 
  • pollyanna1052
    Waylay said:
    I very rarely go out. Get to the corner shop once or twice a week some weeks, and sometimes to the shop a bit further away. Occasionally my partner gets me out (gripping his hand!). Went out to a local pub for my birthday for a bit, but had to take lots of meds, and pain was really bad for 2 days after, as was fatigue. Went to friend's place with other friend a few weeks ago for small gathering. Hid in bathroom a lot, and in her room. She understands anxiety, luckily. In the year and a half before end-of-May, I hadn't attended any social events due to anxiety.... Wish I could get an outing carer! My anxiety is easier to deal with when someone else is with me, and if I have to take lots of pain meds I don't have to worry about being taken advantage of....
    Hi, regarding an outing carer...it may be possible for you to get one. Social Services would do an assessment and may even fund it or you. Why not check it out? My care plan is really good. Take care chuck x
  • pollyanna1052
    exdvr said:
    Good for you @pollyanna and I hope all goes well with your jaunts out next week.  As regards getting out and about I couldn't go anywhere without my Motability car with my scooter in the boot.  Bus and train travel is out of the question.    I love being outdoors but worry about being caught in a sudden shower or even a thunderstorm as in the last few days.  The scooter's electrics don't like water and I don't like indoor shopping malls.  Once you've seen one you've seen them all.  Apart from that it's a case of minding the grandkids who still have another 4 weeks off school.  
    I used to have a scooter which I could put in my car, before mobility was completely gone. I used Shopmobility also. Plus they do scooters at places such as Zoos, Wetlands & Wldfowl Centres. Other places too. Getting out is important x
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    I go out of the house to walk my dog a couple of times everyday and go shopping once a week. If I didn't have a dog I probably wouldn't go out the house much.
  • pollyanna1052
    I had a day out....I say day, but it`s only about 3 hours in reality, I went shopping to Huddersfield with my carer. I did a bit of retail therapy....can`t beat it. But not out again until next Tuesday and Wednesday.

These outings are so important to my well being.

Thanks to all for your replies. xx
  • LubieLoo17
    LubieLoo17 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Hi @pollyanna1052 

Have you tried AccessAble App, they have lots of very detailed Access Guides for thousands of places in the UK including shops, pubs, restaurants, cinemas, theatres, railway stations, hotels, universities, hospitals and more.

It has really helped me when I am planning days out and helps me prepare with confidence 

Just thought you'd like to know about it and it might give you some ideas of where to go!

xx
    Lucy 
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Hi  @pollyanna1052 
    I am almost house bound, I only go out when i go to visit our local speech and language therapist on a monthly basis.
    The problem is the stress and anxiety caused by years of disability discrimination both in the work place and in the local community. This is not helped by the failure by  the ignorant and incompetent UK audiologists, speech and language, and psychologists to explain the complex nature of my communication disability, and their failure to provide the support that me and my family require. 

Hopefully your carer will return soon to help you get around more.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Today I worked. I work as a crew scheduler for Heathrow. Primarily my job is about making decisions. Other tasks include sorting out problems, dealing with people and working on a computer. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.