Anyone growing fruit or vegetables in a garden/indoors? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone growing fruit or vegetables in a garden/indoors?

M_Anthony
M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
I don't have a garden, but I have been growing from two pots on my balcony strawberries and raspberries, in which I got some last year. I also have two micro green kits growing by my window with vegetables.

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    got a couple of plants in tubs...tomatoes, radishes and spring onions. Had some radishes and onions, but toms are a long way off, still little and green
  • M_Anthony
    Cool that is a nice variety. I grow tomatoes on my balcony along time ago, they tasted different to the ones in the supermarkets, I can't remember what type they were. I will at some point grow some more.
  • Peteofpeth
    Peteofpeth Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    I'm lucky to have a fare size garden to were I have just pulled (By I tiss my son) a very good crop of potato's, onions and carrots to what we have had along with our lunch, what was very tasty.   
  • pollyanna1052
    M_Anthony said:
    Cool that is a nice variety. I grow tomatoes on my balcony along time ago, they tasted different to the ones in the supermarkets, I can't remember what type they were. I will at some point grow some more.
    yeh, they taste MUCH better than supermarket`s
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I live in a apartment. On my windowsill in my bedroom are some flowers. I help out on a allotment however, we grow strawberries and raspberries on there.
    We are planning on planting potatoes and turnips next year as well. In the past as a child I grew pumpkins and corn and leeks. 
  • GettinOlde
    GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
    First time strawberries - and they taste of strawberries. ?

Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • M_Anthony
    Nice! I have one just like that, it hasn't grown any at the moment through.
  • April2018mom
    I have a question. How do you grow onions and carrots? We also want to grow swede and beetroot and plums too. 
  • pollyanna1052
    get a seed pack, a tub and some compost and also give `em feed
  • April2018mom
  • M_Anthony
    I was wondering about tomato liquid for plants in the shop, how good is it?
  • April2018mom
    M_Anthony said:
    I was wondering about tomato liquid for plants in the shop, how good is it?
    Why don’t you ask? I recently saw some plants for sale at my local garden centre. Do you live near a garden centre or not? 
  • M_Anthony
    Not too far, just wanted an independent opinion.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    We've got a basil plant on the windowsill at the moment. Although, it's mainly cacti!
    Scope

• M_Anthony
    I have a cacti as well on my balcony, it is easily the oldest plant I have. It be at least 30 years old now!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    They are really cool! My brother loves them so we have A LOT!
    Scope

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @April2018mom   You were asking advice on how to grow plants and vegetables for the garden.

Please may I advise have a look at your wellbeing community health unit. Some of these do a range of courses on growing vegetables and plants for the garden.

I used to volunteer in gardens. These are places like resource centres we all have in the community. Often need volunteers then you learn together with others.

Lots of enjoyment and you grow from the resource centres kitchens.

Look on line.

One other piece of advice is to consider looking at compost bags for potatoes and tubs for Onions, Carrots, Beetroots, any roots if not have a big garden.

Beans and Peas need a wall to climb up.  

Grow herbs they easy to do and maintain and grow . Rosemary and Thymes.  Hardy.

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman

:
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • M_Anthony
    I have just planted some catnip seeds in a small pot, usually I buy it as a spray for the cat. It will be interesting to see how fast it grows.
  • April2018mom
    Hello @April2018mom   You were asking advice on how to grow plants and vegetables for the garden.

Please may I advise have a look at your wellbeing community health unit. Some of these do a range of courses on growing vegetables and plants for the garden.

I used to volunteer in gardens. These are places like resource centres we all have in the community. Often need volunteers then you learn together with others.

Lots of enjoyment and you grow from the resource centres kitchens.

Look on line.

One other piece of advice is to consider looking at compost bags for potatoes and tubs for Onions, Carrots, Beetroots, any roots if not have a big garden.

Beans and Peas need a wall to climb up.  

Grow herbs they easy to do and maintain and grow . Rosemary and Thymes.  Hardy.

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman

@thespiceman
    Thank you. I went to a local garden centre today for advice on growing seeds and came home with two packets of tomato seeds and leaflets too. We will try growing tomatoes this weekend and see what happens. 
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    An easy way to grow tomatoes is ....buy tomatoes at the supermarket ( buying whatever variety you want to grow) , cut the tomato into slices ( about quarter of an inch thick , put a slice ( or if you want hundreds of tomatoes plants) a couple or more slices in a pot nearly  filled with compost put the tomato slices on the compost and cover with s quarter inch or so of good compost ....within ten to fourteen days you will have more tomato plants popping up through the compost than you can possibly use . I keep the strongest ones for myself and give the rest to villagers who want them . ( although very few villagers now grow their own tomatoes or peppers these days )...so i end up putting hundreds of these plants grown from seed in the compost heap. 
    This year I have an exceptionally large crop of tomatoes ...mostly sweet millions and sun gold ...but they are ready now ...I will have to give loads away to neighbours ....but I enjoy doing that. 
    Earlier this year I read about a new fertiliser for tomatoes and peppers ( and other fruiting crops)..this fertiliser claims to up your crop yield by up to 400% ...I must admit that compared with just tomorite fertiliser ( which I have used every year for nearly 30 years ) this new one has at least doubled my crop size ....I have hundreds of tomatoes hanging on the plants I fed with this new fertiliser....I have at least 200% to 300% more tomatoes using this new ( new to me) fertiliser it was around £12 for a small tub ..but it did around 12 plants and I left the other four plants without this fertiliser and they are nothing near the amount on the plants ( I also used it to feed my peppers and they have flowered and really big plants but I await the peppers coming ( sweet and hot peppers) ..oh ..the newish fertiliser is called "Incredicrop " ...from my own experiments it is well worth the price ...and last as season ....once a week I feed my tomato plants " Epson Salts" ...
    Good luck growing your own tomatoes and peppers ...but it might be to late this year to get a good crop ...mine went in in April,  in a small night heated "tent within my greenhouse . Good luck everyone ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.