New shower — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New shower

Options
April2018mom
April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
We are about to renovate our bathroom. We want to take out the shower and install a walk in shower instead. Anyone else done home renovations before? How much did it cost? How long does it take to complete? We have found and hired a few local builders already. The plan is to start on Thursday. How much do I pay them? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

The time and cost will depend on lots of things, size of bathroom, time it takes and what your choice of shower is. You really do need to agree a price before the work starts and have that quote in writing. I would advise you to get more than 1 quote before deciding. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • April2018mom
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Thanks. I am meeting with the builder tomorrow to talk money. What questions should I ask?
  • Msbettyboop
    Msbettyboop Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    Options
    I had a walk in shower installed with seat  and grab rail and it was roughly around £2400 and it took just under a week to complete not including weekends. 
  • April2018mom
    Options
    HowMsbettyboop said:
    I had a walk in shower installed with seat  and grab rail and it was roughly around £2400 and it took just under a week to complete not including weekends. 
    How much did it cost? Who did you use?
  • Msbettyboop
    Msbettyboop Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    Options
    Hi April, it cost £2400 but I'm sure it would depend on the size and the bathroom. We used someone that had done work for a friend. They was also on checkatrade, so we also checked the reviews for them on that site. 
  • camber993
    camber993 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    If reputable, they should give you a proper written quote for the work, just in case there is a dispute at the end. Obviously the quote will be made up of labour and materials. Try not to pay all up front, sometimes cost of materials is OK, but not labour part. It's a good idea is to get 3 or 4 quotes if you can from a recommended source, for comparisons.

There is the cost of bathroom suite itself plus all the accessories like pipework, rails, flooring etc, which should be listed on the quote so it's clear to you. Are you buying the new bathroom suite or is the builder getting it?

Labour cost really depends on which part of the country and their qualifications, but is approx 200-300 per day per person. So, for example, if we assume it's one builder plus his apprentice for 4 days, labour will be around 1500-2000, plus materials of say 1000-2000. So 2500-4000 is my guess. 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope the meeting with the builder goes well today @April2018mom!
    Scope

• April2018mom
    Options
    I hope the meeting with the builder goes well today @April2018mom!
    We couldn’t find a builder so my partner’s dad will do it instead. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.