If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Compliance Interview and savings

Cardiff77Cardiff77 Posts: 3Member Listener
edited July 31 in Universal Credit
Hi, Last year when my husband (64) became  unemployed, we looked at out benefit entitlement. As I am retired we were told to apply for Pension Credit and we were dulky awarded PC (guaranteed). 

Now a year later I have been contacted for a ‘Compliance Interview.’

The thing is that a year ago we panicked and did not mention certain savings. These were over the threashhold but we assumed they would be going under very shortly dud to the fact of a forthcoming trip to Hong Kong to see his son.

Now we are worried sick about this mistake. We wonder what to do.

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 15,031Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

All you can do is attend the interview and be honest. If you've been overpaid then you will need to repay that back. Good luck.
  • Cardiff77Cardiff77 Posts: 3Member Listener
    That is fine by me. But could if be construed as fraud?? 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 15,031Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    All savings should have been declared when you applied so yes potentially. You could have a fine on top of any overpayment.
  • Cardiff77Cardiff77 Posts: 3Member Listener
    Well we have only been on for a year, so wont be that much and we are willing to apay
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Posts: 3,494Member - under moderation Disability Gamechanger
    There is no capital threshold for Pension Credit. The amount of capital you can have before your entitlement reduces to nil is entirely dependent on your income. If you have <£10k then it has no impact. Above that it’s treated as increasing your income by £1 per £500 above the £10k. So £11,300 would see you treated as having £3 extra income per week and reduce your PC accordingly. 

It’s wrong to say that if you’ve been overpaid you HAVE to pay it back although DWP write increasingly appalling letters to that effect. The law says you must resist if there was a failure to disclose or misrepresentation of a material fact. That may yet be arguable in your case and even if it is recoverable DWP have discretion to not recover in cases of hardship or ill health. 

You will need face to face advice immediately.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Posts: 3,494Member - under moderation Disability Gamechanger
    Bah. I of course meant £6 not £3.
Sign in or join us to comment.