Physical impairments and mobility issues
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Is there any surgery that could help?

SystemSystem Posts: 461 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Facet joint arthritis.

Replies

• GreyfoxGreyfox Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi, 11years ago I crushed my spine at T12.Clinical examination made GPs sure I had muscle pain. I was convinced I had broken something in my spine.My pain was almost unbearable, I could not sleep in a bed,walked bent for very short distances, and could only stand for a few moments.GPs ,convinced I had soft tissue damage, refused to send me to x-ray,saying scan would not show tissue damage,much as I was convinced I had broken vertebrae. Nine months later I forced them to send me,privately,to an orthopedic surgeon. MRI and x-ray revealed crush at T12 and T11.I was now too late for bone fusion or vertebroplasty I then had,privately, balloon kyphoplasty.at T12 L2,L4 which took away the original pain, but a new pain had already started at L3 and L4, This pain persists and limits me to very short walks.This pain has been diagnosed as Facet Arthritis.I take oxycontin and Pregablin,which only helps a little.
        I am 78years old, and considering a wheelchair.
       Is there any surgery that could help?
    Thanks
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 9,014 Scope community team
    Hi @Greyfox and a warm welcome to the community! 

I'm sorry to hear about the pain and that it was missed by doctors. An assessment by wheelchair services would help to see what kind of wheelchair you would benefit from. You can ask a GP or physiotherapist to make this referral.

Unfortunately we are not medical professionals and cannot recommend what kind of surgery would be helpful. 

I hope you find us a supportive community and please do let me know if there is anything we can do to help :)
    Community Partner
    Scope
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,121 Scope community team
    Hi @Greyfox. I just wanted to say welcome to the community and I hope you're able to find some help soon. Chloe's correct that we wouldn't be able to advise you medically here. How long ago were you diagnosed with Facet Arthritis?
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
Sign in or join us to comment.