Worth asking for mandatory reconsideration? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worth asking for mandatory reconsideration?

Bobsy
Bobsy Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hey all, 

Hope everyone is OK. Might be long one but need some advice if possible. 

It's regarding my Mothers PIP. She is 68 years old and has been on DLA then PIP for over the past 10 years(standard rate for both). She suffers from COPD, mental health isses/anxiety from a bad past. Last year she had cancer which resulted in her losing an eye, which has made everything a lot worse, after a recovery and she beat cancer, we deciced to make a change of circumstances with her PIP. We had the face to face 6 weeks ago, and last week got awarded standard on both.

The report upset us because it was lies in there, like stating she was calm and relaxed in the assessment, when in fact she was really nervous and crying throughout, and she could communicate good but I had to do most the talking because she got confused. 

Anyway, the main question I would like help on is - for most the past 10 years whilst she's been on PIP, she had been awarded 4 points for the journey planning section and 4 points for the moving around - this new award is 10 points for moving around which is OK but they've deducted the 4 points for journey planning. If she retained the 4 points for the journey planning, she would be on the enchanced rate, but I can't understand how they think she has got better with this bit when, if anything, has got a lot worse, she has not been out on her own since the operation because of confusion and getting lost. 

I've read around and seen that because she is over 65, she isn't able to get the enhanced rate, but is that for new claims or would she be able to get it has she was already on PIP? Would it be worth asking for an MR to hopefully get the 4 points back for the journey section? 

Thanks for reading and for any help you may be able to give me. 

Have a good night :)
Martin

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

This will be her age. Because she's now over the age of 65 and she's previously been receiving Standard mobility then she won't be able to claim the Enhanced mobility.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Bobsy

It might be worth your mum, seeking a welfare benefits check, say from your local AgeUK or CAB.

As PIP is a gateway benefit, that entitles you to other allowances, depending on your circumstances.

By way of example, does she claim Pension Credit?

Keep us informed
  • Bobsy
    Bobsy Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hey,

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure she gets pension credit already, and already on housing benefit.

Would there be anything else worth trying for? Not just benefits but also aids round the house to help her round the house whilst I'm at work.

So you reckon it's not worth asking for an MR on her pip if she won't be entitled to enchanced rate?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to help her out best I can

Thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    For the aids around the house she'll need to self refer for a needs assessment to her local council.

She can't claim Enhanced mobility because she's over 65 so no point requesting the MR. If she had Enhanced previously when she first applied for PIP then, this would be different.

She can still claim Enhanced daily living.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.