Retiring — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Retiring

steveg
steveg Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi  I'm due to retire July '20. However, I am in I'll health (copd) and considering retiring early. I've spoke to my doctor and she said she thinks I have grounds for it. I have been on ssp now for o er 2 months.
Do I have to speak to my employer to get the ball rolling?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

SSP is payable for 28 weeks and yes you should be speaking to your employer regarding this. Once you've done that you should get face to face advice for a full benefits check before doing anything else.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @steveg

A very warm welcome.

Are you a member of an occupation pension at work?

Has your employers got an Occupation Health Service?

If none of above applies, then it is a matter of discussion with your employer.

• steveg
    I only have my state pension to come.
    Face to face?

• atlas46
    Hi

I suggest you follow @poppy123456 advice and get welfare rights advice, what potential benefits you might get.

Also check if you will be entitled to Pension Credit, once you have reached state pension age.

With that information to hand, then speak to your employer.

Work out notice period and any outstanding holidays you have, as this will impact on benefits.
  • steveg
    Cant work notice periods or holidays as I'm to ill to work. Currently living on £98 per week ssp and pip. So anything has got to be better than that.
  • atlas46
    Hi

You will get payment in lieu in that case.
  • steveg
    Thank you to you both. I will contact my employer on Monday and seek advice re benefits.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @steveg and a warm welcome to the community! I hope you managed to contact your employer today :)
    Scope

• steveg
    Hi Chloe_Scope,
    Have been to citizens advice and they have told me not to contact employer but to put in a claim for Universal Credit instead. To be honest I still don't know what to do!

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @steveg, I imagine this has made it more complicated!

You can contact local advice which may be able to confirm what is best to do :)

Please do let us know you get on with it.
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    steveg said:
    Hi Chloe_Scope,
    Have been to citizens advice and they have told me not to contact employer but to put in a claim for Universal Credit instead. To be honest I still don't know what to do!

Universal Credit is a means tested benefit and claiming this will depend on circumstances. Household income/savings and capital. Any future pensions from your employer will also affect the amount you can claim and your UC will be deducted £1 for £1. You'll also need a fit note from your GP to claim limited capability for work.

Do you need to claim for help with your rent or not?

New style ESA isn't means tested but claiming this will depend on your NI Contributions in the previous 2 tax years. For this they will look at April 2016 to March 2018. If you're claiming SSP then you can start a claim 3 months before that ends but you won't receive payment until the SSP ends. You'll also need your SSP1 form from your employer and a fit note from your GP. This is only paid for 365 days unless you're placed into the Support Group and the amount is £73.10 assessment rate per week paid fortnightly.

Any future pensions providing it's under £85 per week will not affect the amount you can claim.

There's a lot to think about and i'm unsure whether the advice for you to claim UC will be right for you. Sometimes CAB don't give the best advice, if i'm honest. Without knowing your exact circumstances it's still extremely difficult to give advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.