Using a mobility scooter for the first time abroad — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Using a mobility scooter for the first time abroad

weeyin
weeyin Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
Hi

I want to go to a resort in Spain, Portugal  or the Canaries next year.  I use a crutch when walking and I am fully aware my mobility is declining.  I know I would enjoy a holiday more if I used a mobility scooter.

I am unsure of suitable places to go.  It would really need to be somewhere flat that provides Mobility scooters. My partner has a son that will be 12 next year.  This will be our first holiday abroad together.  The resort would definitely need to have plenty for the child as he has a learning difficulty and needs to be kept entertained.

I will be 39 next year and never really felt comfortable on foreign holidays as I have always felt self conscious of how my Syndrome looks.  With age I am accepting my body more. I would really like to look forward to this holiday.  My partner is supportive and wants me to use a mobility scooter.  I really want my partners son to look forward to the holiday and it not just to accommodate my condition.

If Anyone has been to particular country that they think would be ideal for us I would be up for trying somewhere new.  However,  I will be flighing from Glasgow.  I get really uncomfortable on plane journeys longer than 3 hours.  I can wear compression and try and move about more if up to a 5 hour flight time.

Thanx Linsey x

Comments

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Hi @weeyin     about 4 years ago we had a holiday in Lanzarote flying from Glasgow and I hired a scooter for the week we stayed in Puerto del Carmen.  Lovely long promenade and all day sunshine.

It was about a 4 1/2 flight which is about your limit but using the scooter made a big difference to our enjoyment.  Scooter had to be left in hotel reception for overnight charging as there was no way it could access the room....too many steps and no lift.

Have a great time and remember to book assistance at the airports.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• weeyin
    weeyin Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Thank you.  I was looking at Lanzarote this morning ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.