PIP and SDP from ESA their connection and what i should do? (Personal Independence Payment) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and SDP from ESA their connection and what i should do? (Personal Independence Payment)

Options
lookingforhelp1993
lookingforhelp1993 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all, 
I've just gone through all of this myself, when my PIP was suspended pending the tribunal my ESA was reduced to the basic £111 ish per week as i was no longer entitled to SDP (Severe Disability Premium). However good news! yesterday i won my case at the tribunal and my PIP was reinstated (Daily Living Component - Enhanced Rate)  and was reinstated from the date it was canceled which means i am entitled to a years back pay. my question is will i also receive back-pay from ESA because i was entitled to SDP last year too? and if so do i have to inform ESA or will it automatically be updated on the system.

thanks in advance for any information, replies, help or advice :)

Comments

• Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi all, 
    I've just gone through all of this myself, when my PIP was suspended pending the tribunal my ESA was reduced to the basic £111 ish per week as i was no longer entitled to SDP (Severe Disability Premium). However good news! yesterday i won my case at the tribunal and my PIP was reinstated (Daily Living Component - Enhanced Rate)  and was reinstated from the date it was canceled which means i am entitled to a years back pay. my question is will i also receive back-pay from ESA because i was entitled to SDP last year too? and if so do i have to inform ESA or will it automatically be updated on the system.

thanks in advance for any information, replies, help or advice :)
    Hi @loo@lookingforhelp1993

It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to contact ESA, though they may ask to assess you again because ESA & PIP are separate DWP departments where different criterion and decisions are made. I would call the ESA, and ask for another claim form whilst explaining things to them and your reasons. Also, you are obliged to inform them of ANY changes in your circumstances too. I received back dated ESA benefits in similar circumstances as yourself, and so it's worth you applying. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I just replied to your other thread and this was my reply.

Great news. Which group are you in for ESA. £111 per week is Support Group Contributions based amount. Income Related amount is more than that at £127 approximately per week because the Enhanced disability premium is automatically added.

For the SDP then you'll need to wait for your PIP award to be put into payment and this can take 8 weeks. Once this is done then you can re-claim the SDP, if all the other criteria still applied then you'll be entitled to backdated money.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Congratulations on the tribunal @lookingforhelp1993
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.