Jo's Trust research results - disabled people struggling to access cervical smears — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Jo's Trust research results - disabled people struggling to access cervical smears

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
Earlier this year, we worked with Jo's Trust on this guest post about barriers to getting a cervical smear as a disabled person.

Today they’re releasing their research that has found that women with physical disabilities and physically debilitating symptoms as a result of a long term health condition are struggling to attend, or even being denied access to, cervical screening.  

You can find it at: www.jostrust.org.uk/invisible 

We have found:

• Two thirds have said they have been unable to attend cervical screening because of their disability
  • Half have not attended due to a previous bad experience related to their disability or worry about how people would react
  • Stigma and prejudice is prominent as 1 in 5 women have been assumed not to be sexually active by their GP or nurse.

We are calling for GP practices to review their policies and practice, along with training and inspections to address adjustments for women. We are also calling for more research to be conducted in order to look at the most effective way to offer cervical screening to this group of women. 

Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Mmm, I cant imagine how I would assume the necessary position for to have a smear test! But if I hadn`t had mine in my 20s and 30s, I wouldn`t be here now. They found suspicious cells and I had a hysterectomy when I was 31. I`d have been a gonner if it wasnt for Cancer Research and Pap tests.
    We MUST get our ladies tested!

Furthermore, at my last mammogram, it caused me so much pain, anxiety and difficulty getting into the machine, that I dont want to go again...but what if I dont????

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.