TAR syndrome - inclusion and work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

TAR syndrome - inclusion and work

Portuguese1984
Portuguese1984 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited August 2019 in Work and employment
Hello everyone. My apologies if my post is too long or has too many subjects that should be in different posts.
My name is Tiago, I am from Portugal and am 35 years old. I have recently moved to London, about 3 weeks now. I have TAR syndrome. any TARS in London? I'd love to meet and exchange some thoughts and ideas.
I came to a job interview to be subtitler in a film streaming company. Still waiting for a reply... I've been a freelance video editor for the past ten years and occasionally directed short films and promos, even though it is physically tiring. I use a KAFO leg brace to walk but still have difficulties in sustaining long walkings, get very tired and fatigue after trying to walk a bit of a distance.
I came to UK hoping to find a better life, more opportunities. Let's say that my country is not the greatest in terms of infra structures, inclusion and having its disabled citizens fully autonomous and with a fulfilling life.
Having known London only from a tourist perspective I was amazed how easy it was to use public transports and accesses. For long walks, and mainly in such a huge city I use a wheelchair as I couldn't handle the effort. I've had a fascination with this city since first time here, so decided to try my luck. Sure I'm not the first disabled immigrant. I have the idea that here there is less prejudice and more opportunities. Soon will find out, or you guys will tell me.

What I'd like to know is what should I do to ease my inclusion proccess here. I'm channeling efforts for this streaming company job, but obviously been submitting to other jobs in my area. but I'm open to any job, just would like to stay.
Even though I am a foreigner, is there any help I could request? obviously my intention is to work and have a regular life as any immigrant, but if there could be any help during this early proccess.
I know SCOPE has kickstart program, but it mentions only some burroughs. I am staying with a family acquaitance in Barnet. could I not do it as I'm not in one of the referred areas?
Also, regarding houses... where do disabled people live in this city? have not seen many appartment buildings and houses always have two floors with stairs. another struggle, as I use the KAFO brace I do not have much knee control and am afraid to walk with it unlocked, my KAFO has a lock and I walk with my right  leg straight, which is impossible to climb steps. I can climb down, but up I have to sit and go up step by step on my bottom... eventually, after I am fully integrated I'd like to find a little place and live on my own. all in its time...

my apologies for this long text hope I gave a somewhat good notion of my situation and my intentions. looking forward on interacting with you all and even meeting up.

I am passionate for our disability cause, and one of the things I'd like to do is help out in any way I can, even someone struggling with similar impairment. 

Best regards
Tiago

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Portuguese1984

Good Evening & Welcome ??

I am one off a number of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Hopefully some of our members will be able to help you further!!!!!

Please please let me know if there’s anything else that I can help you with???

@steve51
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Portuguese1984 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing such an interesting post with us.  I'm sure you will enjoy your time on the Community.  It is a great place to meet new friends.  I'm sure there will be other members from London who can best advise you.  In the meantime if there is anything further we can help you with then please just let us know.  Glad you are enjoying your stay in London.  It is a lovely city.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Portuguese1984
    Good evening. Thank you for the replies. Meanwhile received an email from the streaming films company. they will not proceed with my application. guess I'm cut off. I truly think I was more than qualified for the job... well, back at square 1. really thought I would get it. all help and info to my quest to be able to live here and work would be extremely appreciated. thank you
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is a speedbump. Contact other special needs organisations to see what they can do. Also try looking at work. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Portuguese1984 and welcome to the community. Very sorry to hear you've not had any luck with your application.
    I can't promise you'd be eligible, but it might be worth filling in the Kickstart application and discussing it with them.
    In addition to Kickstart, we also have a range of employment services that might also suit your job hunt and some great advice about how to go about finding a job as a disabled person here.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Portuguese1984
    thank you Adrian 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Portuguese1984   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join the community.

In response to your question looking for employment.

I have the following might be useful.  

https://www.evenbreak.co.uk.

This is an employment agency set by disabled people for those who are members of our community.

I would also contact Citizens Advice see how they can help and advise you if you need any information on benefits or assistance with anything else..

Your local branch.

Hope that helps.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Portuguese1984
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Portuguese1984   Thank you for reply. Please if I can help any further please contact me or the community or a member of our team.

I am sure we can help you and  be supportive.

Keep in touch even if you wish to have a chat. You need not be lonely.  

Always here.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.