Fibromyalgia help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyalgia help

purple84
purple84 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi just wanted some advice. A few years ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Symptoms were manageable with help from my gp and regular acupuncture. When I moved and changed gp the gp at the time didn’t believe I had fibromyalgia and told me it was muscle tension and that my weight was an issue ( I was a size 14/16 at the time) and I have coped with symptoms ever since. Recently I have had quite bad anxiety and depression due to family illness. My ibs symptoms have gotten unmanageable with extreme pain at times. I am slo experiencing upper back pain with numbness and pins and needles. Sometimes I ache so much it’s an effort to walk up the stairs or to plait my hair. I am constantly exhausted. I e had routine bloods which showed no anaemia or inflammation. I don’t know where to turn or indeed trust my doctors.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @purple84. I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough time.
    Is your current GP still the same one who didn't believe you had fibromyalgia?
    Have they identified the cause of your IBS?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • purple84
    purple84 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Nope I’ve had stool and blood tests everything came back clear. I’ve got an appointment Monday with a different gp
  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hi @purple84
    I'm wondering whether you have considered counselling?  I suggest this because the body and mind are inextricably linked and it could be that your mental distress [about the family illness and indeed about your own health] could be causing/impacting your own health issues. 
    This doesn't mean that your symptoms/pain are not real it is just about considering how your mental wellbeing might be impacting on them and perhaps having the space to talk about how things are for you might help; if part of the problem is muscle tension the right counsellor can suggest relaxation techniques [a physio could also help with this], or they may be able to help you with weight loss etc. 
    You can either ask your GP for counselling or you could try and find a local private counsellor or an online one eg through  www.psychologytoday.com or https://www.bacp.co.uk/about-therapy/we-can-help/
    If your GP thinks the problem is down to muscle tension/weight then ask them where they will refer you to for help with these - it's their job to refer people on for effective treatment rather than just state such things and then do nothing about it.
    I hope that helps and that you can get your life back on track.
    Best wishes.
    Emma 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.