Help please, Uc, carers and pip! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help please, Uc, carers and pip!

anna81
anna81 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I'm new on here and really hoping for some clarity and advice. So me and my partner have been on a joint claim on Uc for ages.  I am his carer and he was in the limited capability for work but had to prepare for work. He was also getting pip. Recently it was time for a re assessment of pip and also re assessment for Uc. After his pip assessment it came back he was entitled to pip anymore , he didn't score one point. We have already actioned mantory reconsideration and confident this will be eventually over turned. After his Uc re assessment a couple of weeks after the pip , Uc have decided his condition is worse and they moved him into limited capability for work and not able to prepare for work so his money is due to go up 230 a month. I rang Uc and they said this would start from our 12 the September payment as the higher element is from the 9th August. So all this is fine but are payment for 12th August still has the carer element 160 but still being deducted the carer allowance 268 . I thought as soon as pip stopped they would have been notified but obviously not. I'm slightly torn and what I need help with is this: part of me thinks not to say anything and go short each month a) I am a full time carer regardless and if I say I'm not getting carer allowance they will say I have to look for work full time time until we get the  pip decision over turned which I dont think I can cope with , being a carer takes it all out of me b) I'm very confident it will b over turned, the pip assessor totally lied and twister what was said and u couldn't get two different outcomes from pip and Uc which says it all, so therefore what's the point of changing it as hopefully will be back to normal soon. But on the other hand we have gone from £950 a month to £400 a month and we are really really struggling here. If I ring Uc up and tell them. Will we get Augusts money returned to us ? Will I still get the carer element and just lose the allowance? If I no we will get Augusts money returned to us and especially if we will still get the element then I can't afford not too and will just have to grin and bare the consequences. I really hope I've explained everything clearly and with enough detail. I'm new to forums so apologize if not but please feel free to ask. Hope someone can help me out thanks in advance 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Carers allowance continues to be paid for 4 weeks after the PIP decision is made. It's your responsibility to report any changes in circumstances so you will need to ring Carers Allowance to tell them that your partner is no longer claiming PIP. Once this is done the carers allowance will stop.

The carers element of UC will be removed because you can't claim this because your partner doesn't claim a qualifying benefit, even though you're caring duties remain the same. You will need to also report the changes on your UC journal and then the carers element will be removed. You also need to tell them that you're no longer receiving carers allowance and then the £268 will then be added back onto your monthly UC amount. Once it's removed your claimant commitment will most likely change.

The extra money your partner is entitled to because of the work capability assessment decision he'll be entitled to an extra £336 per month which is the LCWRA element.

Do be aware that only 18% of MR decisions change so it's most likely he'll have to take it to Tribunal. Good luck and hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • anna81
    Hi thank you so much for replying. My Carers allowance stopped straight away as it is paid weekly. So it was stopped that same week we got the pip letter. I understand what you are saying thank you. As we get paid on the 12th each month. Therefore we got paid on the 12th August The PIP was stopped on the 7th July. Will they give us the difference back straight away. £160.00 careres element was added in and the £268 was deducted = £108 if i ring them now would they arrnage a payment to give us the £100 or do you think that it would just come in to effect next month? 
    I do understand about the rates of PIP etc and realise that this will                                     
  • anna81
    no doubt take a long time :(
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome. It will most likely be next month that you'll receive the money owed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • anna81
    Yes I thought as much :( Ok thank you very much for your response really appreciated :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @anna81 and welcome to the community. :)
    It's really important you update them as soon as possible as your current commitment will be to update them of any changes. One thing to note; usually in this circumstance the Carer's Allowance claim is suspended rather than closed completely. Until it is closed completely, Universal Credit will continue to deduct the £286.
    Once you've updated, you will possibly be moved into the work group however claimant commitments are supposed to reflect an individuals circumstance so they should still take into account the fact you care for your partner but this is at the discretion of your work coach. 
    Best of luck with the PIP appeal, fingers crossed the decision is overturned soon. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.