Lower back pain months after lumbar puncture — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lower back pain months after lumbar puncture

matthew123
matthew123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2019 in Cerebral palsy
So a few months ago I've had a lumbar puncture and I can still feel pain around the area where the needle was inserted. The pain is somewhat dull, when I press on the bone around where the needle was inserted I can feel that exact same pain that I felt when the needle was poked in and the pain that remained for a few weeks after. I'm not too worried about this though, what worries me is that in those last few months I have been having lower back pains which stem from the area where the needle was poked in. I can't sit down for longer than a few minutes because I start feeling like my back is broken and I get very worried as I feel like I am making my spine worse every minute in which I countinue to stay seated. I can stand up fine and I don't feel any pain standing up but when I'm seated on a desk chair I feel pain. I am also fine when slouching on a couch but that's about it. Has the NHS f**ked my back over? I don't see how it can be healed, it's been months and nothing has improved. Will doing weight lifting to strengthen my back fix this? Or will my back always feel funny? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @matthew123 welcome to the community! Sorry to hear what has happened. Unfortunately, as we are not medical professionals we cannot suggest any techniques to help your back. The best option is to speak to your GP  :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • matthew123
    matthew123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I might as well dig a grave for myself.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @matthew123 and a very warm welcome to the community!

I have heard of this before but I'm sorry you are still experiencing pain from this! Does heat or ice help at all?

Have you been to see a doctor since it started?
    Scope

• Shazza65
    Shazza65 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    HI, this interests me because I am now wondering whether the three epidurals I had when giving birth (3 times) have damaged my back.  My pain definitely originates from the same area the injections where sited although this was some 20 years ago, but I do wonder if it damaged, weakened or changed the area so that as I got older the damaged area became weaker and this is the root of my chronic pain.
  • Tyi
    Tyi Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I had a lumbar puncture 9 years ago and my back pain is now progressing to a permanent feeling of weakness and it will give out at times. I am also thinking the lumbar puncture is responsible as it started after it and is in the same position.
  • chlobow2001
    chlobow2001 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    So I'm pretty much in the same place as u with the back pain but along side of it I have weakness and numbness of the legs and now walk with walking aids. I got put under general anesthetic for my lp. But all the doctors have said is that i have a form of fnd. I still wonder if thay messed up my lumbar puncher but all me question on so have been dismissed 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    I completely hear how many questions and concerns you have at the moment @chlobow2001, especially wondering if they messed up your lumbar puncture.

You deserve to feel validated, at the very least. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything we can do to support you, even if that's just listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.