If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

The 4 types of Auditory Processing Disorder

dolfrogdolfrog Posts: 213Member Pioneering
The four types of Auditory Processing Disorder -Temporal, Speech in Noise, Amblyaudia, and Spatial - you could have a look at my  Zotero “Auditory Processing Disorders” Group research paper compilation which includes subgroups for the different types of Auditory Processing Disorders and some related issues
 Zotero “Auditory Processing Disorders” Group 
https://www.zotero.org/groups/2302570/auditory_processing_disorder_apd/items/collectionKey/B8NYWU3Y  

The Temporal type is about having problems processing the gaps between sounds. which can include the gaps between words in rapid speech. it is also the main underlying cognitive cause of developmental dyslexia and specific language impairment.

Speech in Noise is about having problem processing a target sound when there are low levesl of background noise.

Amblyaudia is about the brain processing what one ear hears better than the other ear.

Spatial is are about not being able to identify the location of a sound source. 

Replies

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 3,857Administrator Scope community team
    Thank you for sharing this @dolfrog!
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Posts: 2,936Administrator Scope community team
    This is really interesting @dolfrog. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Senior Online Community Officer
    Scope
  • dolfrogdolfrog Posts: 213Member Pioneering
    edited August 28
    Hi @Chloe_Scope and @Adrian_Scope ;

Basically all UK audiologists should be adequately trained and qualified to assess and diagnose all 4 types of Auditory Processing Disorder, which can be miss diagnosed by other uniformed medical professionals for example as being ADHD or even autism. 

The temporal type of Auditory Processing Disorder, having problems processing the gaps between sounds is the main underlying cognitive cause of developmental dyslexia, which the dyslexia industry call a phonological processing deficit (using different terminology to describe the same issues, all part of their career marketing). And research over the last decade has questioned whether Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) and Specific Language Impairment (SLI) (currently being re-marketed as Developmental Language Disorder(DLD) ) are one and the same thing, again using different terminology to describe the exact same issues.  
    The key diagnostic test for the temporal type of Auditory processing Disorder is the Random Gap Detection Test (RGDT) which tries to measure the size of gap between sounds and individual's brain can process, When I did the test  back in 2003 it did not include a gap large enough for me to process, which explained why have have problems with rapid speech, and why I have the dyslexia symptom. 
    Other issues can include having word recall problems when talking to others or writing, having a poor auditory memory, having problems following multiple verbal instructions, problems remembering what others may have said, problems processing what others are saying when  they say it and they expect an instant reply.
    Running the alternative compensating skills and abilities we may require to work around the limitations our disability causes, can cause working memory  issues as running our coping strategies may over load the limited capacity of human working memory, which can be very stressful and tiring. 

I have compiled some international Auditory Processing Disorder research paper links on an Evernote web page. The research paper are listed country by country
    Some International Auditory Processing Disorder Research Papers
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s329/sh/f5a4fffb-bf47-491b-97e3-e3cbee583af6/514394d1b0bf900e8ab031ed701d89c7  

Thanks for this @dolfrog. I know you're very passionate about raising awareness of APD. How are you getting on with it?
    Scope
    Hi @Adrian_Scope ,
    I have been trying to increase the awareness of APD for over 20 years now when our eldest son was first diagnosed, since then all of sons have been diagnosed as having APD, as has my wife, and me. it is for us a genetic issue, we can also see undiagnosed previous generations who also shared similar issues.
    The main problem is the politics between three groups of professionals - audiologists, speech and language, and psychologists- audiologists do not want to taken on the complex issues as it would require them take over some of clinical roles of psychologists, and speech and language. 
    The temporal type of APD is the main underlying cognitive cause of developmental dyslexia,  so if psychologists were to accept that then Educational psychologists would have to stop diagnosis dyslexia which is really a shared symptom , and those they identify as being dyslexic would have to be referred to an audiologist, an optometrist, or a psychiatrist, depending on the suspected underlying cause of the dyslexic symptom.
    International research of the last decade has been debating that APD are the exact same issues only described by the different the differnet professioansl using different terminology. This is the main reason that Spefic Langauge Impairment is now being marketed wit h new name Developmental Language Disorder. (DLD), and in some areas of the USa as Mixed Expressive and Receptive Language Disorder (MERLD). 
    All of this is more about so called medical professionals making money selling their services and programs, not the real issues. Which is why I have had to compile multiple research paper collections to prove these professionals to be wrong, or behind the times regarding international research.
    Added to which here in the UK there are 3 Audiology professional bodies. Multiple brick walls. 
    Hopefully one day every NHS Trust will employ audiologists trained and qualified to assess diagnose the 4 types of APD, and work with the recommended mult disciplie support team - speech and language , and psychologists.
     I did not think being the first adult in the UK to be diagnosed as having APD would pose so many problems with the so called medical professionals. It is like i know more about APD than they  do, which is wrong. 
    edited September 10
    Today I have just created a new Evernote web page "The Four Types of Auditory Processing Disorder"  which includes a brief description of the 4 types and links to some current international research regarding these issues 
    1) The Temporal type of Auditory processing Disorder (APD) is about having problems processing the gaps between the sounds that the ears hear, which can include the gaps between words in rapid speech. It is also the main underlying cognitive cause of the developmental dyslexia symptom.
    2) Speech in Noise is about having problems processing a target sound when there are low levels of background noise.
    3) Amblyaudia is about the brain processing better what one ear hears better then how it processes what the other ear hears.
    4) Spatial Auditory Processing Disorder is about the brain not being able to identify the location of a sound source.

Which I am using in my Facebook APD group together with my Evernote "What is Dyslexia?" web page
    Thanks for sharing this @dolfrog. I think it's brilliant you're trying to raise awareness of the condition. Do you share your Evernote page with any auditory experts you meet?
    Scope
    edited September 11
    Adrian_Scop
    The first Evernote page I shared last year was a compilation of international research listed country by country to lobby the UK Audiology professions.  And I do know some of them pesonally as well from my days of setting up APDUK to help the Medical Research Council (MRC) gain government funding for a 5 year research program.2004-2009.
    The MRC were recommending a multi discipline team to assess, diagnose, those of us who have APd, as it is a complex set of issues which can have multiple sets of symptoms which can overlap with other existing areas of care and support. Unfortunately many who would have to be retrained regarding Auditory Processing issues that can cause problems with sound based communication, including speech, language, and dyslexia etc preferred to deny that Auditory processing and Auditory Processing disorder even exists,, more about inter profession politics, career research funding, and marketing existing programs, All about Money rather than the real issues. And some only wish to discuss one type of Auditory Processing Disorder, Speech in Noise, as it does not have many underlying symptoms that other professions would need to understand and because those who have that particular type of Auditory Processing Disorder can benefit from using FM systems in a classroom or lecture theatre. (again more about selling technology) 
    I have the temporal type of APD as do all of my family , my brain having problems processing the gaps between the sounds my ears hear. Which is also the main underlying cognitive cause of the developmental dyslexia symptom, and specific language impairment. Hence the need for a multi discipline support team.  Psychologist and Linguists are in denial that auditory processing disorder exists, including many of the dyslexia /speech and language researchers all about their research funding. International research is slowly highlighting their false positions. Added to that there is the dyslexia industry which is funded by an organisation marketing a phonics based support program which the majority of dyslexics who have auditory processing disorder as the underlying cause of their dyslexia symptom are cognitively not able to use.  
    So there are not many auditory experts here in the UK only one or two, and most have already emigrated to other countries that have a better understanding of these issues. Currently  Germany and  New Zealand lead international research.
  • April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 1,619Member Disability Gamechanger
    dolfrog said:
    Adrian_Scop
    The first Evernote page I shared last year was a compilation of international research listed country by country to lobby the UK Audiology professions.  And I do know some of them pesonally as well from my days of setting up APDUK to help the Medical Research Council (MRC) gain government funding for a 5 year research program.2004-2009.
    The MRC were recommending a multi discipline team to assess, diagnose, those of us who have APd, as it is a complex set of issues which can have multiple sets of symptoms which can overlap with other existing areas of care and support. Unfortunately many who would have to be retrained regarding Auditory Processing issues that can cause problems with sound based communication, including speech, language, and dyslexia etc preferred to deny that Auditory processing and Auditory Processing disorder even exists,, more about inter profession politics, career research funding, and marketing existing programs, All about Money rather than the real issues. And some only wish to discuss one type of Auditory Processing Disorder, Speech in Noise, as it does not have many underlying symptoms that other professions would need to understand and because those who have that particular type of Auditory Processing Disorder can benefit from using FM systems in a classroom or lecture theatre. (again more about selling technology) 
    I have the temporal type of APD as do all of my family , my brain having problems processing the gaps between the sounds my ears hear. Which is also the main underlying cognitive cause of the developmental dyslexia symptom, and specific language impairment. Hence the need for a multi discipline support team.  Psychologist and Linguists are in denial that auditory processing disorder exists, including many of the dyslexia /speech and language researchers all about their research funding. International research is slowly highlighting their false positions. Added to that there is the dyslexia industry which is funded by an organisation marketing a phonics based support program which the majority of dyslexics who have auditory processing disorder as the underlying cause of their dyslexia symptom are cognitively not able to use.  
    So there are not many auditory experts here in the UK only one or two, and most have already emigrated to other countries that have a better understanding of these issues. Currently  Germany and  New Zealand lead international research.
    Thanks for the information @dolfrog! This is interesting. 
Sign in or join us to comment.