Can you be a carer if you are disabled yourself? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can you be a carer if you are disabled yourself?

judrop
judrop Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2019 in Transport and travel
Can a husband who's got a blue badge be a carer for his wife who is also disabled

Comments

• pink_princess
    pink_princess Community member Posts: 181 Pioneering
    Hi @judrop

I am a community champion it’s a volunteer role on the online community to help answer any unanswered posts and welcome new members I saw that nobody had replied to you yet i’m sure they will in the meantime I just wanted to say welcome to the community you will find lots of support here in answer to your question I would Imagine so they is also help and support for the wife but also for yourself I would suggest talking to a social worker or any other professionals who maybe able to help you and offer you more advice.

If you need any further advice on this as always there is the scope helpline I’m sure other community members will be able to help with this.

hope this helps
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Judrop, Hello and welcome, the fact that your husband has a blue Badge has no bearing on his eligibility to become your carer and claim the benefit. As long as your husband is not earning more than the prescribed amount in the regulations and meets the other  criteria then I would apply. The process takes about eight week once the papers have been entered into the process system..Iy you are claiming Housing benefits, council tax benefits then these will be suspended until you supply evidence that you are in receiving Carer’s allowance once this is confirmed the suspended benefits will be reinstated and any money owed relayed. You can get full details on the government site putting in Carer’s allowance.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I claim carers allowance for looking after my daughter and my housing benefit and council tax reduction was never suspended when i first claimed carers allowance 2 years ago. I've never heard of it being suspended before.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    judrop said:
    Can a husband who's got a blue badge be a carer for his wife who is also disabled
    Hi,

If you're talking about claiming carers allowance then the wife needs to be claiming a qualifying benefit such as DLA mid/high rate care, PIP daily living or Attendance Allowance.

If the husband is claiming state pension then because of the overlapping benefit rules they can't be paid carers allowance but will have an underlying entitlement to it, which means it could increase other benefits or they could become entitled to them for the first time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @judrop, have this been able to help?

Please do let me know if there is anything else we can do!
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.