PIP appeal refused after tribunal, what can I do now? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP appeal refused after tribunal, what can I do now?

Options
shabapip123
shabapip123 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I applied for PIP in February 2018, was given 0 points at the assessment. I have severe mental health issues, was diagnosed with stage 2 renal cancer, been operated on this year to remove the tumour, still in recovery process. Been diagnosed yesterday with a high vitamin D deficiency. Got gastroenteritis. When I applied for PIP last year it was only for the mental health issues as I didn't know about the other illnesses at that time. I appealed the decision and have attended a tribunal on 28/08/19. After such a long wait, hadn't been sleeping, really stressing out, constant panic attacks and anxiety. Debts piled up with family and friends, bills in arrears. At the tribunal was only asked questions about my health what I can and cannot do. I live on my own, I have to do what I can myself,  no family at all close by, friends are busy with there own lifes I don't trouble them. I mostly stay at home don't go out unless I need to for appointments etc. At the tribunal they didn't ask if I wanted to add anything I wanted to say. Once the questions had been completed, the judge said right I think that's it. Thank you very much for answering all our questions, you will get a letter in post. I knew something wasn't right. But I thanked them and headed home. Today I have received a letter and they have REFUSED my appeal with 0 points for daily living and mobility. I don't know what to do now or how I go around appealing to a higher tribunal or should I reapply for PIP. All medical evidence was provided but I have never been sectioned under the mental health act. I take medication daily. They only based the appeal on my mental health not my other illnesses. Please help me as to do what to do as I am in a state where I just want everything to end. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. The Tribunal would have been based on what your condition was like at the time the decision was made. Any worsening of condition will not have been taken into consideration. A badly presented case will often lead to refusal.

You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the statement of reasons and record of proceedings. Once you receive these you need to find someone to take a look at find an error in law. If not error is found then i'm afraid it's the end of the road for this claim and you won't be able to appeal the decision.

You can start a new claim at anytime but using the same evidence you previously used will likely see another refusal. It helps to have some understanding of the PIP descriptors and what they mean. Before starting another claim i'd advise you to have a read of this link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

You may then want to get some face to face help and support if you decide to start another claim. Do remember that you must also have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months. Good luck with what ever you decide.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • shabapip123
    Options
    Thank you for replying. I really need the help. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @shabapip123 and a very warm welcome to the community! If there is anything else we can help with or you need things clarifying then please do let us know! :)
    Scope

• shabapip123
    Options
    Thank you Chloe_scope. I have requested for a statement of reason today. Will have to await what they have based the tribunal results on. Can't really do much until then. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.