Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Information about Carers Allowance?

poniesponies Member Posts: 35 Listener
edited September 2019 in Carer's allowance
Hi there, I have recently been awarded Pip daily living and I also work 32hours per week.
want to know if my Partner makes a claim for Carers Allowance will it affect my income or Pip award
thanks

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,054 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

For your partner to claim CA they mustn't earn more than £123 per week after deductions. It will also depend what benefits, if any they claim. It won't affect your PIP but it's a taxable benefit. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • poniesponies Member Posts: 35 Listener
    Hi there, I know my Partner can’t earn more than £123.00 per week with C.A.
     I work 32hours per week and get Pip daily living Component. I just want to know if my Partner claims C.A. for caring for me 35hours or more per week. Will it affect my Pip i.e take it off me, due to my Partner getting the Carers Allowance. Does it also affect it due to me working & not on any benefits other than Pip daily living.
    My Partner will only be claiming for C.A.
    thanks
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,054 Disability Gamechanger
    As advised, if your partner claims carers allowance for looking after you it will not affect your PIP.

Do be aware that carers allowance is a taxable benefit.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Thanks poppy 123456
    only someone told me, I would not get Pip if I had a Carer claiming C.A. for looking after me, they said my Pip would stop, as you cannot claim both if your a couple living together.
    aslo my earnings are taken into account 
    Whoever told you that could be more wrong. I'm not even sure why they even think that would happen. CA doesn't affect PIP in any way at all.
    Yep they told me my Pip payment would stop altogether because of my Partner claiming C.A.
    Also because of my Wages.
     They told me my wage, plus Pip daily living was added together, that my Partner claiming C.A wouldn’t entitle me to Pip.
    That's very bad advise you've been given, sorry.

As i advised a few times, PIP isn't affected by your partner claiming carers allowance.

Your wages and PIP are totally different things. PIP isnt means tested so working doesn't affect the amount you receive.
    Thanks so much for your advice, I feel a lot better now. I knew Pip was non means tested, but didn’t know that C.A claimed by my Partner would not affect my Pip, as was told it would. Also was told my wage would be taken into account,

Hi there, do you know if my Partner will get a class 1 contribution with being my Carer whilst he is receiving C.A.
    You're welcome. Yes, class 1 NI credits will be paid while claiming carers allowance.
    That’s good news.
    would you know anything about Council Tax, if I will be able to get a reduction whilst on Pip or Partner on C.A.
    or will I have to pay more C.T. now I receive Pip daily living component 
    thanks 

All local councils have their own rules for council tax reduction and you'll need to speak them. A claim for carers allowance can take between 8-12 weeks. Once it's in payment you'll need to report the changes to your local council.
    Ok thanks so much for your help & support 
    You're welcome. One other thing, if you claim working tax credits you need to let them know about your PIP award because you'll be able to claim the disabled element, which will give you extra money.

If you claim housing benefit then you should let your local council know about your PIP award too.
    Hi I don’t get any tax credits, or H.B.
    thanks anyway.

You did say C.A was a taxable benefit. Does that mean My Parntner will pay tax whist claiming it. Or is it added to my Income  and Pip amount.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,488 Scope community team
    Hi @ponies and welcome to the community.
    It's a taxable benefit but it is below the income threshold so you don't need to worry about that. It's mainly relevant for those on tax credits as it's counted as income. I hope that helps! :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    Hi Adrian, thanks for your advice, it’s so helpful.
    Hi @ponies. No problem at all. Just let me know if you have any other questions. :smile:
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    I’m on minimum wage £8.21 and work 32hrs per week.
    I have just been awarded Pip daily living.
    My Partner has applied for Carers Allowance £66.15per week.
    No other income coming in, have never claimed Tax Credits.
    or Universal Credit, although I may be entitled too for my Partner and Myself.
    Don’t understand it all
    If you don't mind me asking a few questions, I could help give you rough idea of whether you'd be entitled to any other financial support. Does your partner get PIP or any other benefits? Do you rent your home? Do you have any dependent children living with you? 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Hi Adrian, My Partner doesn’t get anything at the moment, He is however waiting for a reply from Carers Allowance Unit, regarding C.A. If he’s successful he’ll get £66.15 per wk to look after me 35 or more each wk.
    We own our home, and have no dependents

A benefits calculator will help in this situation but as you have no dependents then you may not be entitled to any Universal credit.

Any savings over £6,000 will affect the amount you can claim. Savings of more than £16,000 and you won't be entitled to any UC.

Thanks Adrian for your help and support 
    I will go on www.entitledto.co.uk
    Everyone replying to my questions have been truly wonderful and given me great feedback 
    Thanks Poppy 123456 I will look into it, you have been very helpful in answering my questions, giving me a better understanding & support with my recent enquires 
    You're most welcome @ponies, best of luck to you and please let me know if we can help with anything else. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Will do thanks 
Sign in or join us to comment.