If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Are people on ESA entitled to claim Universal Credit too?

KnobblyKneesKnobblyKnees Posts: 42Member Courageous
Having heard of ridiculous delays in getting Universal Credit, would my ESA award be replaced by UC or supplement it? Also what box should I tick when it asks "Have you got a fit note from your doctor?" I ticked 'No' as I've been assessed for the ESA, but later on it stated I'd have to get a fit note from my GP but I'm fit for nothing.


  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Posts: 5,051Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @KnobblyKnees and welcome to the community. :)

    If you have an established award for ESA, you do not need to provide fit notes to Universal Credit, they may ask for them but you need to make it clear you have a determined ESA award and this should be transitioned over to Universal Credit. Handing in new fit notes can result in triggering a reassessment under Universal Credit.

    Are you currently receiving income-related or contribution-based ESA? Are you claiming any other benefits? 
    Senior Online Community Officer
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 16,311Community champion Disability Gamechanger

    May i ask what's the reason why you're claiming UC?
  • KnobblyKneesKnobblyKnees Posts: 42Member Courageous
    Hi Adrian, thanks for your reply. I get both income-related and contribution-based ESA. When filling out the form as I had ticked 'no' to a fit note I could not progress past the 'you have to get a fit note etc;' page. I've tried ringing the number but all it states is to use the website.

    Hi Poppy, I'm trying to save up for an automatic as my left knee is shot and you have to be on UC to apply for the government's help to save perk. Also I'm not sure but I think you need it to qualify for pension credit which I shall also need in a few years. Why do you ask? Would you not recommend it? Does it replace ESA?
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 16,311Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    You will not qualify for the government help to save because you need to be earning at least £542 for each assessment period while claiming UC and zero earnings because you don't work will not qualify you for this. See link for those that qualify.

    As you're claiming ESA then i would advise that you remain on this, rather than change to UC. Managed migration for ESA doesn't start until at least 2020, possibly later, so it could be a few years yet.

  • KnobblyKneesKnobblyKnees Posts: 42Member Courageous
Sign in or join us to comment.