Considering making a claim-advice needed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Considering making a claim-advice needed

Mummymacd
Mummymacd Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi all, New member here, I was hoping to ask for some advice.
I have suffered for several years with a bad back. MRI showed disc 20% out, lack of spacing between the joints and inflammation. I am on Gabapentin and Amitriptoline for the pain. I have been to physio and also to the impact pain clinic (which was all about not letting my issues stop me from doing stuff). 

The pain is getting progressively worse to the point now I cannot stand for long periods of time or walk far. I get about a hundred metres down the road and my back is awful. This has made it really difficult for me to work and I have just finished working my notice for this reason- I cannot fulfil my role to the potential it needs.

I was wondering whether I your experience I have a claim for some financial assistance. 
I am also a large lady at a size 26 so I am hoping to lose some weight which may help my back a little and then obviously if I can find some work that suits I would like to work again in the future.

I would be interested to hear from any of you with similar experience.

Thank you and best wishes

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Mummymacd

Are you seen by a pain management clinic or not? They can advise you on benefits that you may qualify for. Start with your GP, talk with them and see if they can help you. https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/how-to-get-nhs-help-for-your-pain/
    There are several pain support groups out there. My advice would be to join one as that can also be useful. Have you ever heard of pain control programmes or not? The sessions consist of gentle exercise, relaxation methods, discussion, ways to recognize/control pain and pace yourself. The whole point is to support you to come up with effective pain management techniques (other than meds) to try. Plus you get to meet other people who also have pain! 
  • Mummymacd
    Mummymacd Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I went to a pain management clinic (impact it was called) but it was not helpful. I don’t attend now I just get on with everything. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

For benefits advice you'll need to speak to an advice agency near you because what you could claim will totally depend on your circumstances. A pain management clinic is not the place to go for advice on claiming any benefits.

If you quit work then this could potentially go against for claiming any benefits such as New Style ESA or Universal credit because there could be a sanction for up to 26 weeks. So face to face advice is definitely needed here.

PIP isn't means tested and claiming this will depend on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. It's not about a diagnosis. Evidence will be needed to support a claim and a face to face assessment is most likely. Claiming PIP isn't about not being able to work, people claim PIP and work.

The process for claiming this could be several months, possibly longer.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.