MENTAL HEALTH, ANXIETY, AND SLEEP. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MENTAL HEALTH, ANXIETY, AND SLEEP.

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every one in response to several posts on dreams recently .  I wish to add this post may be of interest to those with anxiety problems and issues.

All of us need sleep to repair the body, muscles, mend and make new cells.  It is essential to the body's requirements.

Many people suffer sleep problems and issues.  Often the result of lifestyle or others aspects, factors that need to be addressed.

Having mental health issues and problems can have  disruptive sleep patterns either due to several underlying difficulties that involve medication .  Could be also simply the hidden given fears and insecurities of the condition you have.

It is just not a case of going to bed and sleeping there are practical and common sense reasons for this.

Not every one has the same quality of sleep. Every one is different please I need to stress that to give reassurance.

As with any sleep concerns that may arise.  When do I need to speak to a Doctor?.

Do I have insomnia ?.  The inability to sleep is insomnia .  The main thing is to recognise if you have a problem seek help and some guidance.  From your GP.

Symptoms include the following:

Difficulty in falling asleep.

Waking up in the Night

Waking early in the Morning.  

Feeling irritable and unable to function in the day.

These are the common symptoms .

I do understand that certain mental health conditions do cause the feelings of insomnia and these include.:

Anxiety, Depression, Bi -polar, Schizophrenia, Panic Disorder, PTSD.  Also stress.

Looking at your medication is another factor.  Anti depressants can effect your sleep patterns and causes of insomnia.

If you are experiencing problems sleeping and having issues there are coping methods and stratergies.

Look at creating a sleep diary. Make notes how you slept any vivid dreams, recollections, any fears, insecurities.  Anything that caused disruptions.

Anxiety and other problems do effect sleep so if you keep thinking about them then these can again cause some issues.

Make a plan to sleep this something I learnt from joining various mental health charities. It does help me .

Look at your bedroom what it is like. The environment of your bedroom should be a place for sleeping no electricals or TV, Computer.

Should be not too cold or too hot.  Bedding and bed comfortable.  Not too light or too dark.

Then you need to look at diet and lifestyle. Have a meal up to  three hours before bedtime the designated time you wished to retire.

I have meals most nights full of carbohydrates, Pasta or Potatoes.  Use Pulses and Beans.  Nothing too heavy or spicy. 

In combinations with Vegetables and Meat.

I use also before last half hour, whole meal toast with honey. Warm milk in the microwave just a few seconds.

This snack contains an enzyme called Tryptophan which aids restful sleep.  In the warm milk and toast with honey.

Having that and some times some soothing music does help me.

I aim every night around 10.30 to wind down.

One important point is the need to also discuss with your Doctors if you have experienced the following.

Sleepy all day and night.

Difficulty in falling asleep and staying asleep.

Not refreshed after any sleep.

Morning headaches.

Strange sensations, arms and legs .

Physically acting out dreams and in your sleep.

Falling asleep in different times.

These are some key points that are often discussed.

After learning what I know I just thought might be useful.

To any one who wishes to know several reasons why they are suffering sleeping badly or having problems.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Brilliant as usual @thespiceman. Thank you very much for sharing.
    My eldest really struggles to fall sleep (has all her life!) and over the past six months has really come to rely on music or sleep-inducing tracks on YouTube, so I might use some of your suggestions as alternatives.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Adrian_Scope   Thank you for kind words.  I have built up a library of information, pamphlets, leaflets, booklets.

Around a number of health issues. If with permission and is OK with the Team from SCOPE. 

Put some more on. 

You do get overloaded with lots of useful information from many mental health charities.

Much of it is relevant and common sense.

I know having a mental health issue can be a problem and some difficulty to cope with.

Yet if sensible, practical solutions can be given hopefully then you can deal with anything.

I will always stress that any advice, guidance should be considered but at the same time consult your GP.

Who may look at other alternatives.

Especially the question of medication or other therapies.

Thanks.

Take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks @thespiceman. I hope you're doing okay today? Please feel free to post about any resources you think are useful.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.