PIP discrimination/ unprofessionalism — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP discrimination/ unprofessionalism

cer293
cer293 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, I'm new here, 
bASICALLY, I had an appointment nearly two months ago for PIP and i recieved part of my report last week. With in it, I scored all 0's, which is twoddle. I struggle with day today life in general and have a multitude of conditions. The person on the report, said i could eat unaided and cook unaided, when my mum has to help me with nearly anything. I do not feel as though i was treated correctly, and i left my appointment feeling awful and the report made me feel like i still have to fight to prove im sick, there were many comments on my weight and how i was in the assessment, and i was wondering how i could make a complaint.
Many thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

All complaints need to be sent to the health assessment providers and not DWP. Details how to do this will be on their website.

You need to wait for a decision before requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) once the decisions been made you have 1 month from that date to request the MR. You should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

I would advise you to avoid mentioning any lies or contradictions that may have been told in the report because DWP and Tribunal won't be interested in any of those.

Remember that PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis or condition itself. It's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

I'd recommend you to read this link to have a better understanding of the PIP descriptors, what they mean and the criteria.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cer293   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear what you have been through.

I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

My friend @poppy123456 has given you a lot of advice, guidance what to do next.

Please if I can suggest also contact CAB your local office. They will help and advise your on any Mandatory Reconsideration.  Something to consider.

Please have a look at our website.

Please if you need anything further be happy to help and be supportive.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    @cer293 - it may be worth taking a minute or two to decide exactly what your complaint is ...

You mention discrimination & unprofessionalism - as Poppy mentioned you should report this to the assessment provider...

If you don't agree with the conclusion of the assessor then you should ask for a mandatory reconsideration...

They're two separate things ...
  • cer293
    cer293 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I have already had my assesment, they made a decision too and claimed i do not need support. 
  • david235
    david235 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    cristobal said:
    If you don't agree with the conclusion of the assessor then you should ask for a mandatory reconsideration...
    I agree with everything you wrote except the emphasis in this sentence, @cristobal. Reconsideration takes issue with the decision, not directly with the report. In most cases the Decision Maker will come to the same conclusions as the assessor, but this is not necessarily the case.

As you imply, it is vital to distinguish putting forward an argument that an alternative decision should have been reached by way of reconsideration from any complaint about the assessor or assessment provider. The best way to get a PIP decision changed is to put forward the case that an alternative descriptor more likely than not applies in at least one activity.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    @david235 - you are correct ...I didn't read closely enough..

If the complaint is purely about the assessors report and their behaviour (as seems to be in this case) then this can't be dealt with by a mandatory reconsideration (which is asking the decision maker to have another look at their decision)

Sorry if this causes confusion...

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.