If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Mandatory reconsideration over the phone? Good idea or not.

tastytomtastytom Posts: 10Member Listener
Hi,
Im at the stage of requesting a mandatory reconsideration of my recent PIP decision.
When I telephoned PIP earlier today to make them aware of my intentions and that I’d be submitting a letter soon with full details of my reasons as to why I disagree with the decision.
The lady I spoke to advised me that there was a simpler and quicker way for them to reconsider my claim, it can actually be carried out over the phone whereby I can state all my reasons as to why I think the decision is wrong etc. without having to submit written details. 
Can I ask if anyone has used this method and if so what did they think of it? 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 12,734Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I don't recommend you to do this. When requesting the MR it's always better to put it in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Avoid mentioning any lies/contradictions that may have been told in the report because they won't be interested in any of those.

You really can't go into all that detail through a phone call and then how do you know they are actually typing exactly what you say?

Even though only 18% of MR decisions change, to give yourself the best chance of being in that 18% it needs to be put in writing and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request it.
  • tastytomtastytom Posts: 10Member Listener
    @poppy123456

Hi, thanks so much for your reply.
    I’m putting my MR in writing as we speak and I totally agree with your views on the telephone option.
    The lady I spoke to on the telephone was really selling the option to me and that’s why I thought I should ask for views/opinions on here as to whether it was as good as she was saying it was.
    Thanks again and fingers crossed I make it into that exclusive 18% 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Posts: 2,984Administrator Scope community team
    I'm glad you've decided to put it in writing @tastytom. Best of luck with it and I'll keep my fingers crossed you're one of the 18%!
    Senior Online Community Officer
    Scope
  • saz11saz11 Posts: 73Member Pioneering
    @tastytom

Hi when i applied for my MR i did it over the phone but it was to include i would also be sending in a follow up letter. I felt this gave me time to compose my letter in more detail. 

I then followed up with a phone call to confirm they had received and processed my letter through there system which  they had.

The reason i went with phone initially was it gets the ball rolling from when you make the call.

Obviously it worked well for me but that maybe not the case for everyone.

Hope all goes your way.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 12,734Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Ringing first to request it may not be a good idea either because they may not wait for the letter and extra evidence, if you plan on sending it. I've known this happen many times.

Best advice, is to put it in writing.
  • saz11saz11 Posts: 73Member Pioneering
    @poppy123456

I was just sharing my experience i thought that was what the site is about. I was not in anyway trying to influence anyones decision. 
  • tinka1992tinka1992 Posts: 76Member Connected
    Mine was done over phone and in righting I won my mr 
Sign in or join us to comment.