Buying a wheelchair accessible vehicle: do you approach more than one dealer? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Buying a wheelchair accessible vehicle: do you approach more than one dealer?

Snowbelle
Snowbelle Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
Hi I'm looking to get a wheelchair accessible vehicle for the first time,

I'm hoping to find an automatic second hand one.  There are 2 local dealers but they each usually only have 0-1 automatic second hand WAVs at a time.  I'm keeping an eye on their websites.
I've seen there are a number of nationwide dealers that do free home-test drives.

My question is, is it ok to ask more than one dealer for home test drives?  I feel guilty as it feels like a lot of effort for them & will only be buying from one.  But because I need an automatic second hand one, most dealers have different models to each other if any, and it would be good to try the different models (and I wouldn't manage getting to a dealer to do a test drive).

Thank you!

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    Hello @Snowbelle
    When we were looking at WAVs, I contacted two different companies with my questions. Motability has more information. 

https://www.motability.co.uk/cars-scooters-and-powerchairs/wheelchair-accessible-vehicles/
    Try out vans before biting the bullet. Ask questions. Definitely take advantage of the home drive option too. Make notes and do some research online as well. This company is based in the UK. 

https://www.alliedmobility.com/wheelchair-accessible-vehicles-and-cars/
    Give them a call to arrange things. Or email them tomorrow morning. Best of luck! By asking more than one company, I also observe how proficient they are at handling questions and retaining customers.  
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Never feel guilty trying before you buy, when you buy cloths you try on several styles in different stores before making your purchase.  Having recently changed my manual gear change car to an automatic gearbox with lighter steering. The first main dealer the sales team made no effort to to assist by staying in their office. So resulted to looking for the brand and model on line contacted the dealer and had a deal, four year x mobility car under 9000 miles, full service history which didn’t need ( oil change every year). The only down side is I have to renew my driving license and now required to have a medical so may have my license removed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.