If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers that are self employed

janconzt1janconzt1 Posts: 3Member Listener
edited September 12 in Carer's allowance
I’m trying to find out if my partner claims carers for me will it effect his existing claim for housing benefit and will he have to go on universal credit 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 12,678Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

For your partner to claim carers allowance for looking after you, you must claim a qualifying benefit such as mid/high rate care DLA or PIP daily living.

He mustn't earn anymore than £123 per week after deductions. It's also a taxable benefit. It could affect his housing benefit depending on circumstances. No, he won't have to claim UC because carers allowance isn't part of UC.

If you do claim a qualifying benefit and you live alone, your partner claiming carers allowance could affect your benefits if you're claiming the severe disability premium. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

• janconzt1janconzt1 Posts: 3Member Listener
    Hi my partner only earns about £80 so presently gets full housing , we don’t live together and I’m on standard rate living x 
    May i ask what other benefits you claim and do you live alone?
  • janconzt1janconzt1 Posts: 3Member Listener
    I lim on universal credit which includes my bereavement benefit and my daughter lives with me she has severe adhd  
    Then if he claims carers allowance for looking after you then it won't affect your benefits. He will need to tell his local council that he's claiming it and it's also a taxable benefit.
Sign in or join us to comment.