Do you know the signs of Sepsis? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you know the signs of Sepsis?

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger

Today, 13th September, is World Sepsis Day.

Sepsis arises when the body’s response to an infection injures its own tissue and organs. However, it is easily misdiagnosed as flu, with this potentially being life-threatening.

There is currently a global health crisis, so learning signs and symptoms is important.

The symptoms of Sepsis are:

- Slurred speech or confusion.

- Extreme shivering or muscle pain/fever.

- Passing no urine all day.

- Severe breathlessness.

- It feels like you’re going to die.

- Skin mottled or discoloured.

The video below explains the signs and symptoms of Sepsis in 3 minutes. Knowing these vital signs could save a life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEGUCpxwAlE&feature=youtu.be

If you suspect that you, or someone else, has Sepsis it is important to act fast. Contact your local hospital or physician and ask: “Could it be sepsis?“

Scope

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing this with us @Chloe_Scope.  A really good video and yes, everyone needs to be aware of Sepsis.  I had Sepsis in 2015 after my hip replacement and as a result of a bad U.T.I.  It was absolutely horrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone as I have never felt so ill in all my life!  I literally felt as though I was going to die and it was awful battling the shivering and pain while my temperature kept rising.  I was lucky enough to still be in hospital at the time and the doctors/nurses quickly acted upon it and I was on an I.V. drip for a couple of weeks so I slowly began to feel better again and I'm thankful to the hospital staff who saved me.  I would never want to go through that again!  You hear a lot more of Sepsis these days than a few years ago, but so sad that there are people still dying of it.  It can so easily be prevented and treated and anyone can fall victim to it.  Hopefully with more awareness more people can be saved.
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • linlin01
    linlin01 Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope.  I'm pretty quick onto 111 if I'm in any doubt with my health  :)
  • Marbles
    Marbles Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Ive had septis and not all those symptoms showed up. I did infact have a kidney infection and later as l didnt recover felt so I'll couldnt stand for very long l had ecoil infaction in every organ including the cavity of my hips, missed by the NHS then my GP. You often get septis twice and like with most things it can effect ppl differently. My kidney infection was diagnosed as gastric. Even l knew it wasnt gastric she made the ambulance wait whilst she did her tests. Knowing what l know now as l didnt even know of the word and realised how appalling the A&E l attended was l would have researched. One thing l have learned about being so ill. Is your health is your responsibility and research it. I've had appalling treatment from the NHS truely shocking. lm now riddled with osteoarthritis and my spine has degenerated lve had NO support and no help infact lnhad to pay for xrays and go to my doctor to show them before they took action! The NHS is failing because of the ppl they employ and wasted services. I've had 3 years of hell and lve been disgusted at the sheer basics they missed l have refused to deal with my trust.. You feel very I'll with septis and do feel like your dying, because you are. In my case l couldnt stand for long either. My bloods urine were a mess and l embarked on a very scary and emotionally physical challenge, 3 years later the only thing my trust has done is biopsy a tumour to discover it was benign with no follow up. 
    My trust failed a basic guidelines and covered up deaths of patients they're are saying everything is ok. But it's not. Septis is a scary thing to have and it has long term effects on your body. Fatigue for one, l couldnt stand for long before becoming dizzy and feeling sick. Thankfully the out of hours doctor told me to insist. But really no action was taken on any "professional's part" looking back l was just fobbed off. Even know with these guidelines it's being missed by poorly trained and narssassist  staff. Before l became so ill and now my skeletal issues l was ok. l think l was born with joint defects which caught up with me. My opinion of the NHS is very poor if you dont feel better question and question more. Dont let them fob you off. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you @Ails and @Marbles for sharing your experiences, it must have been such a difficult time for you both!
    Scope

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, Sepsis is horrible!  Thanks for helping to raise awareness of it @Chloe_Scope.
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.