Rehousing, is a bungalow a possibility? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rehousing, is a bungalow a possibility?

Svidiga
Svidiga Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hi everyone;
im 27 with a 7 month old baby, I have a rare neurological condition called hemiplegic migraine which means I can randomly start suffering stroke-like symptoms. 
When I first applied for a council flat, I was pregnant and luckily my condition didn’t affect me as much as I got given a first floor flat. 
But now my condition is back with a vengeance and getting up and down the stairs to my flat is becoming almost a once a month possibility with a child as I’m not allowed to keep my pram in the hall to save me the trouble of too many trips if I want to leave. 
I reapplied and was given assessed mobility level 3 is there a possibility I could get a bungalow or would be another flat but ground floor? 
I don’t get disability benefits as my condition was deemed unimportant to cause great impact on my day to day life ? (apparently being paralysed down one side for upto a week every fortnight isn’t a great impact) 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. Bungalows are usually only given to those above the age of 60. My advice would be to look for a ground floor flat. How long this will take will depend on the waiting list in your area.

Claiming PIP will depend how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors, it's not about a diagnosis. Was it PIP you applied for? If so when was the decision made on your claim.

Do be aware that if you're claiming housing benefit and you move to a different local council then you'll need to claim Universal Credit for help with your rent. This will mean that any other benefits you claim like tax credits, will transfer to UC.

If you stay with the same local council then you'll be able to continue with housing benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Svidiga
    Svidiga Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I applied to PIP last year before applying for universal credit. I told them that I get an attack every week to every fortnight which means I can’t cook for myself, I can’t walk for than 10 steps, I’m practically bedridden and cannot wash during these attacks. but I scored 0 during the assessment for everything, even though at the time I was pregnant and dealing with hyperemesis at the same time as my migraine disorder. When I phoned to make a mandatory reconsideration I was talked into getting the transcript back before making the reconsideration. By the time I got it I was out of time. 
    It put me off telling UC about the affect of my migraines on my work because of the assessment process.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    For PIP you need to be affected by those conditions for at least 50% of the time over a 12 month period. If your conditions do affect you this much then you would have still be in the timescale to request the mandatory reconsideration. Although it's 1 month, with good reason you do have 13 months and not receiving a copy of the assessment report will have been good reason.

You can start a new claim at anytime but before doing this i'd advise you to get some face to face advice because using the same evidence you previously used could very likely see another refusal. This link will help you find what's local to you for advice.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lorra
    Lorra Community member Posts: 5 Connected
     Hi I'm Lorraine Christina Talking about independent living. I'm on council waiting list. I'm waiting for a bungalow. Downstairs flat. Could be quicker. Iv spondylolisthesis back thoracic. Pain osteoarthritis fybromyalgia. Knee legs pain. I walk so slow. Iv a wheelchair. My partner pushes me further. I did have a disability scooter. I gave this to a gentleman who really needed. It at the time I were. Housebound. Know I could really do with a disability scooter or electric wheelchair. I'll need to look for a second hand type. As I can't afford new any more. I'd be more independent too. At moment I don't go out so much. Independent living is what's all about. People like me who is disabled. I'm hoping lots of you. Have found yourself independent yes I love that word what it means to me. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @Lorra. How long have you been on the waiting list?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lorra
    Lorra Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Hi ah iv highest eligible. For a home bungalow with 2 bedroom. 1for all my disability walker etc iv been on waiting list 3months. But I were on waiting list for 5years prior. To know thank you Adrian 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.