Tribunal soon — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal soon

jules13
jules13 Community member Posts: 63 Connected
so I have had my date for the tribunal, to say I’m nervous much is an understatement. Scared! It’s taken 18months to come round, I had actually started to forget about it and then it’s here! I’m that nervous I actually considered cancelling it. My advocate told me not too and I can do this as I was only really 2points off lower rate, I’m just wondering those that have been through a tribunal, can you shed any light? What to expect? What I will be needed to do? Etc TIA xx

Comments

• Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    edited September 2019
    Hi! 

You'll be fine! Easy to say but it's very true, I promise.

I had mine last month after an 18 month wait. I didn't score a single point at the assessment and I won standard care and enhanced mobility at tribunal. 10 and 14 points from absolutely nothing.

The fear of the tribunal was so much worse than the actual tribunal. It's more a fear of the unknown.

The tribunal panel is independent of the DWP and will just ask questions about how you struggle. There's a judge (mine didn't say much - she just made sure the process went as it should). Then a GP who went through my medical evidence and asked questions about where I go and what I do. Then a disability expert who asked about what I do around the house.

Although it's a court, it's very informal. It's a desk in a room, you sit one side and them the other. There's a clerk that may sit in and take notes and pop in and out.

They didn't ask me to do anything. They made their decision on my evidence and what I told them. It's about an hour long.

Sometimes, they ask you to wait outside while they make a decision and call you back for the result snd sometimes they post it to you the next day. It doesn't mean anything bad. They're just short of time and have to move on.

I found that it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Honestly.

Just be honest. Don't hide your emotions. 

Have you sent in all the evidence you want them to see? They do accept things on the day but not too much as it eats into your tribunal time as they have to look over it thoroughly.

Good luck!
  • jules13
    Thank you so much, you have put me at ease a bit, I’ve got lots of paper work to send tomorrow to advocate and they will forward it on, best of it all, my original award finishes in April, and then I’ve got it all over again! It’s a crazy, stressful thing! 
  • Jurph
    That's great @jules13.

The soon the better for evidence.

The tribunal will give you an award length too.
  • jules13
    Oh really? So they could extend it or agree that I would need to reapply etc? Thanks for all the info xx
  • Jurph
    I'm not too sure about renewals. Might be worth double checking.

Mine was a first time claim. They gave me 4 years from the date of claim. So just over 2 years left on it.
  • jules13
    Oooh so they can say they don’t agree the 2 years is long enough etc and say a longer period, fingers crossed 
  • Jurph
    I think it depends on whether they think any further treatments may improve your situation or whether there's likely to be a change in a year or 2 or 5 etc.

• jules13
    Hey, just wanted to give you an update I had my tribunal today, and I won!!! Yey! The judge only asked me one question and awarded it me! Amazing! Thank you for your messages before! 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations @jules13! Amazing news! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • jules13
  • Jurph
    That's such great news @jules13! I'm so happy for you!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.