parkrun — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

parkrun

csno01
csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
edited September 2019 in Coffee lounge
Are there any menbers here interested in either Jogging or Running?

I have had an interest in Running for a very long time and am in the process of getting back into it. My long term goal is to participate in a parkrun although the 5K distance is just too much. Does anyone know of any alternatives? 

I am also in contact with a local running club near where I live. I am also aware parkrun have started a campaign to accommodate Hidden Disabilities. Surely there must be an alternative?

Csno1

Comments

• linlin01
    linlin01 Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
    Hi @csno01, I'm interested in getting fitter than I am, in my case it's to be able to get walking.  I've seen some suggestions on NHS website - would this be Couch to 5K programme of any interest to you:
    https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/get-running-with-couch-to-5k/
    Very best of luck  :)
  • csno01
    linlin01 said:
    Hi @csno01, I'm interested in getting fitter than I am, in my case it's to be able to get walking.  I've seen some suggestions on NHS website - would this be Couch to 5K programme of any interest to you:
    https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/get-running-with-couch-to-5k/
    Very best of luck  :)
    Hi Linlin,
    Thank you for the recommendation. 
     I am aware of the couch to 5K app and have looked at this in the past.  I understand it is very good tool for building up your stamina slowly. 
    If walking is something you want to get back into I would recommend active 10 app. 
    Or if distance is something your more focused on I would suggest MapMyRun. The app is designed with different activities in mind not for just running. It uses your phone’s GPS to track and calculate your stats such as distance. You can download this from the App Store or Google play I think. 
    Good luck 
    Csno1
  • linlin01
    linlin01 Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
    Thanks @csno01, I've been unable to do much with chronic pain and fatigue for several years so I'm even more behind than brisk walking!  I did look at the active 10 app though, and it's led me on to a link for exercise videos on MS site which, although that's not my diagnonsis, should suite my current capabilities, so thanks.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m interested @csno01
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @csno01
    I found this information on the parkrun website:

Everyone is welcome at parkrun.

parkrun is a running, jogging and/or walking event. No matter how fast or slow you are we are just delighted to see you taking part.

Whilst more competitive people can use parkruns to test themselves against their own time, and against others, participation should ultimately be for fun.

Equally we don’t mind if you drop out. You can always come back and try again another day.

But I don't want to be last...
    you won't be.

The Tail Walker stays right at the back of the field and should be the last person to cross the finish line ensuring that everyone is accounted for.

They are encouraged to carry a mobile phone in case of emergencies and let any marshal out on the course know that they can collect nearby signs and leave their post.

This role is compulsory in the UK but please note that not all events in our parkrun world have a tail walker. If you are concerned please talk to the event team before taking part.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • csno01
    I’m interested @csno01
    Check out the parlrun webskte gor an event near you!
  • csno01
    Sam_Scope said:
    Hi @csno01
    I found this information on the parkrun website:

Everyone is welcome at parkrun.

parkrun is a running, jogging and/or walking event. No matter how fast or slow you are we are just delighted to see you taking part.

Whilst more competitive people can use parkruns to test themselves against their own time, and against others, participation should ultimately be for fun.

Equally we don’t mind if you drop out. You can always come back and try again another day.

But I don't want to be last...
    you won't be.

The Tail Walker stays right at the back of the field and should be the last person to cross the finish line ensuring that everyone is accounted for.

They are encouraged to carry a mobile phone in case of emergencies and let any marshal out on the course know that they can collect nearby signs and leave their post.

This role is compulsory in the UK but please note that not all events in our parkrun world have a tail walker. If you are concerned please talk to the event team before taking part.

Hi Sam this is  very useful information. Thank you. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.