Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Removal of carers allowance

Stargazer6Stargazer6 Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited September 2019 in Carer's allowance
I had it stopped when I got to state pension, reason given was pension is classed as  a benefit, I payed into this all my life, how can it be a benefit ?

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,054 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

State pension and carers allowance can't be paid together because they are classed as over lapping benefits. However, you can still have an underlying entitlement to it which means it could increase others benefits or mean you'll become entitled to them. See link. https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/other-pension-age-benefits

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Stargazer6Stargazer6 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Still don't think state. Pension is a benefit, if I never paid in I wouldn't have got anything at all its a joke.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,054 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately, it's a benefit and most people of state pension age claim this, whether you've been claiming benefits and been paid your NI credits or whether you've paid them yourself through working.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.