GDPR — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

GDPR

Options
debsidoo
debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
Hi just a quick question.
 My mother passed away a couple of weeks ago. DWP were informed by the Registrar on my behalf. Today her carer has received a form from them in case benefits need to be returned all perfectly ok. This is where it gets interesting they have asked her to furnish them with details of mine. National insurance number d.o.b. Address and also my bank details. I don’t mind DWP having these details but I do not want to give them to a third party. Surely I As next of kin and registering party should have been asked directly. Am I legally obliged to give sensitive details out to a member of the public or can I refuse and speak to them in private. I’ve always been told not to share bank details with anyone else.
        Debsidoo.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,200 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

I'm so sorry to hear that!

No, you absolutely do not have to disclose any of your personal details to any third party. If you are down as next of kin and DWP know your contact details then they should have contacted you, not your mother's carer.

I would definitely put in a complaint about that!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks @poppy123456
    i thought as much. To be honest I was expecting them to contact me directly as there is always an overpayment in this situation.
         Debsidoo.x
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Refuse and ask to speak to them privately. You are not obliged to hand out sensitive details if that makes you uncomfortable. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @debsidoo, I'm really sorry to hear this. Please do let us know if we can support you with anything. As others have said, you are not obliged to give out any information.
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.