Appeal turned down but awarded necessary points??!! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeal turned down but awarded necessary points??!!

Derbymduck
Derbymduck Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
I was reassessed for PIP and got my money stopped and awarded zero points. Because I was previously claiming PIP I decided to put in a mandatory reconsideration. I received a letter today telling me that I can't be awarded PIP for either daily living component or mobility. I'm completely confused because it then says that I've been awarded 11 points for daily living and 12 for mobility. In the letter it then goes on to say that I have been awarded mobility and two sentences later it says that I can't be awarded PIP. What are they playing at? anybody experienced anything similar? it's driving me mad.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Derbymduck Perhaps try ringing the DWP on Monday, saying you have received this contradictory letter, & ask them to find out what award, if any, you might be entitled to.

Did you previously have an award for both the daily living & mobility components? The only thing I can think of is that if you weren't awarded the mobility component prior to reaching state pensionable age (with apologies if you're younger!), you cannot be awarded PIP for the mobility part afterwards. However this doesn't explain getting 11 points, & not being awarded the standard rate for the daily living component.

• Derbymduck
    I'm 40 so not quite at pension age just yet lol. My previous award was lower rate daily living and enhanced mobility. According to this mandatory reconsideration letter I've been re-awarded the same again (in points) but just so confused as to how the letter is completely contradicting because it says a mixture of that I have been awarded PIP and how I haven't been awarded PIP. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hang on until Monday then & ring the DWP for an explanation. Glad you're such a young person, as this rules out why you might not receive the mobility component!
  • Derbymduck
    but they awarded me 12 points which I work out to be the higher rate. I claim for mental health problems and this doesn't help! thanks for taking the time to comment by the way 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    It could very likely be a simple error. When my daughter received her decision on her PIP review, there was an error in the award letter. A simple phone call to DWP to speak to a case manager solved the error. Ring them Monday, they open at 8am.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 231 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Derbymduck
    Thanks everyone, I'm definitely going to ring them first thing Monday. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced any errors and now I understand that it's happened to others as well. I think it's disgusting of them 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 231 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Benny20021
    Benny20021 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Make sure to keep us updated ?
  • Derbymduck
    I will definitely update after I've rung them. I can't see how they can award me the appropriate amount of points to get both components but then in the next breath say we can't award you PIP at this time. Muppets!!!
  • poppy123456
    I'm sure there was a thread on here very recently with the same situation as you. They scored the points but the award letter said they couldn't award it to them at that time. I'm unsure what happened about that though.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Derbymduck
    I'm sure there was a thread on here very recently with the same situation as you. They scored the points but the award letter said they couldn't award it to them at that time. I'm unsure what happened about that though.
    I will have a trawl through the threads to see if I can find it. Thanks :smile:
  • Derbymduck
    I've found that thread and the person was in exactly the same situation as me, awarded enough points but got award turned down. After ringing DWP they said it was an error and honoured the award with back pay. Got everything crossed now that I will get told the same. Here's hoping 
  • Griff1963
    Griff1963 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
  • Derbymduck
    Thanks. Got a horrible feeling that there's going to be an alternative explanation and unsuccessful. If it is some sort of error it's disgusting.
  • poppy123456
    In the real world, errors do happen. Despite that fact it's DWP errors can still be made. A simple phone call tomorrow morning is most likely all it takes. I know it's very stressful receiving that letter over the weekend when they're closed but hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

As someone advised, if it is an error you need to ask them to send you the correct award letter. Let us know the outcome.
  • stratos
    stratos Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Good luck for tomorrow and hoping for a very positive update tomorrow. :) 
  • Derbymduck
    Thank you :smile: I'm trying not to get my hopes up but we could really do with the money. Tomorrow morning can't arrive fast enough!
  • jaktag
    jaktag Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    edited September 2019
    I hope you get the answers you need.Its a nightmare situation to be in.I just feel like telling them to stick there PIP and ESA.I cant afford to but would love to!

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, it is certainly very odd!
    I hope the phonecall has a positive result for you. The WP does my head in too!
    Look forward to reading your update.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.