Activities for autistic children — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Activities for autistic children

Options
lj2707
lj2707 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi. I have recently been given custody of my 12 year old nephew. He has been through some very traumatic events and I’m working hard to provide him with stability. He won’t allow me to play with him and I feel I’m failing him by always allowing him to play alone. Does anyone please have any advice on how I can interact with him?

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @lj2707! Welcome to the forums. 

Here are some activities for autistic kiddos https://harkla.co/blogs/special-needs/therapeutic-activities-autism
  • vysvader
    vysvader Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi,

Look at the methodology of Greta's parents, how Swedes/parents behave (she didn't have to... but she publicly disclosed and often repeats that is with Asperger's to help such as your nephew and once, it's gonna really help your nephew). See where it leads to. In fact, she could socially integrate between other kids (or to play with top world leaders) because she had been getting equal approach in school, or anything else as others so she'd been seen equal. Just she got a bit more freedom to develop/enjoy her special interests. In her 15-16 (3 years older), she's already playing politic games with the whole Europarlamt, takes personal meetings with prime ministers, and nicely socializes with kids around the planet when/if their interests are once met (when they do what she wants). She got there because of her freedom. When/if she comes back from meetings with ex-presidents and prime ministers from America to the UK in a transatlantic swim on her small eggshell (ship) in the hurricane season, you can ask her. She's very talkative and if you come with something that really interests her, something that she likes... then even Greta, either Greta or your nephew accepts you.

Best regards
    You can feel free to get in touch 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

It's nice for children to have some activities in life but Autistic children very often like to be alone because that's part of Autism.

I asked this exact same question to my daughters psychologist when she was diagnosed and her reply was " this is one question that comes up a lot with parents of Autistic children" don't force them to do anything they don't want to do.

Your Nephew will have his own routine and breaking that routine can be very difficult for him. Changing his routine could potentially make him worse. For this reason, i just let my daughter do her own thing. If she wants to do something she will ask me but then it will usually be something she has an interest in.

It maybe worth ringing the National Autistic Society and asking for some advice. https://www.autism.org.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lj2707
    lj2707 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, it means a lot. It’s a huge learning curve and I’m determined to do my best for him.
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Options
    I have 3 young adults with autism and I agree with poppy there routines are very important to them and they take a while to let others in. For one of my kids we visited graveyards he liked the dates on the stones. My other son it was history so we visited museums. My daughter it's her dog she can talk about him all day. Find out what your nephews interests are and go from there. Give him time to settle in. The worst thing my boys hated was forced friendships as wanted to be doing their own things. Wishing you and your nephew all the best ☺ 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.