lcwra assessment period / backdating ??? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

lcwra assessment period / backdating ???

Options
jjhelmb
jjhelmb Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I moved from ESA last year into LCW group. I've asked for an assessment since switching for lcwra and just recieved a date for a face
to face in November. I started giving medical evidence in since day 1.
How far if at all will lcwra backdate? they usually say theres a three month assessment but its taken a year to get me an appointment? :(

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    jjhelmbjjhelmb

Good question. I'm assuming you are now on UC with your limited capability for work status carried over from your ESA? This would only apply if you were entitled to ESA on the day you claimed UC.

If your UC award includes the LCW element (equivalent of the work-related activity component) carried over from your ESA (which it would only do if your limited capability goes back to before 3 April 2017), then there should be plenty of backdating. It will go back to when you asked for the change. If that was from day 1, of your UC claim, then you'll get the LCWRA element going back to day 1. To pay your arrears though, they'll be paying you the difference between your LCWRA element and the LCW element that you actually received. Then in future UC payments you should get the LCWRA element for every assessment period.

If however you were NOT getting the LCW element when you started claiming UC, it looks as if the three month 'relevant period' applies. That means that the backdating would go to 3 months after the day you first provided medical evidence - or to put it another way, you should get the LCWRA element going back to your fourth assessment period. In this case, the arrears would be paid in full as there would be no LCW element to deduct.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,189 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I'm sorry to query this but if the decision is LCWRA isn't it paid from the date of the decision, even though a change of circumstances were reported?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jjhelmb
    jjhelmb Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I'm here to find out haha @poppy123456

Thank you @BenefitsTrainingCo for that info. I guess it will be a coin toss what actually happens with DWP but that will be a good guideline of what to expect following their decision. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.