Inclusive Design ideas for people in wheelchairs — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Inclusive Design ideas for people in wheelchairs

designstudent
designstudent Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I am a design student in a course about Human Factors and Inclusive Design. I am working on a project to redesign self-checkout machines at grocery stores to make them more inclusive for people in wheelchairs and those with mobility issues. I am hoping to learn about the issues people struggle with most when using the machines or why people do not use them. Is the height or distance away from the screen an issue? Would it be helpful if the screen was adjustable or moveable? Are the messages on the screen clear? I would really appreciate any feedback, comments, or suggestions. Thank you for your time! 

Comments

• designstudent
    edited October 2019
    Hi, I am a design student in a course about Human Factors and Inclusive Design. I am working on a project to redesign self-checkout machines at grocery stores to make them more inclusive for people in wheelchairs and those with mobility issues. I am hoping to learn about the issues people struggle with most when using the machines or why people do not use them. Is the height or distance away from the screen an issue? Would it be helpful if the screen was adjustable or moveable? Are the messages on the screen clear? I would really appreciate any feedback, comments, or suggestions. Thank you for your time! 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @designstudent and a warm welcome to the community. Hopefully some of our members will share some of their insights with you. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, thank you for doing this and I hope the stores will take your research on board.
    Yes, the screens and payment slots are too high and far away for me. I cant stretch as I may fall out of my chair. Also the card machine at regular checkouts dont lower of come off the stand and I cannot reach them. My carer has t do it for me. I want to do it myself.
  • designstudent
    Hi @pollyanna1052, thank you so much for your response. Do you believe the screen and payment slot height is the biggest issue for you when using the machines? Are there any other aspects that make it even more difficult? What would be the most helpful change for you so that you are able to do it yourself? 
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hello @designstudent welcome to the community. I'm a wheelchair user and it would make it so much easer for me if counters and screens were at the right height and adjustable. Also,  it's crucial that disabled people are part of the design and consultation process at every stage.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @designstudent!
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.