Events, research and opportunities
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Difficulties with food preparation and eating

Hi,

My name is Harry, I am currently in my final year studying Product Design at DeMontford University in Leicester. For my final project I have been researching the challenges and difficulties with preparing and eating food faced by people with disabilities .

If you can spare a few minutes to answer some questions to give me a better understanding of your experiences, I would really appreciate it.

If you feel comfortable, please provide your age, description of disability and how severely this effects you on a day to day basis.

Questions:

• Can  you  tell  me  any  issues  you  regularly  face  during  food  preparation?

• How  do  you  overcome  these  issues  at  the  moment?

• Give  one  (or more)  examples  of  an  issue   that  if  solved  would  be  helpful  regarding  food  preparation    and   eating?

• Would you be more likely want to cook if the challenges you faced were overcome via product/solution and your reasons why?  

Thank you for taking your time to read this, I look forward to your responses and trying to make a difference.  

Kind regards,
Harry

Replies

• Dotty123Dotty123 Member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    I have Grt problems I have use of thumb and next finger rest bent over and can’t use ,I can’t hold pan or open can I can’t use knife fork bathe there isn’t much you can heat or cook with no use of hands .eating in cafe there’s no special utensils I get son cut up sandwich into tiny pieces hope don’t drop them my cup is stuck to table I use straw I can’t peel anything lift pan hold kettle 
  • HarryVSHarryVS Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for response @Dotty123 I really appreciate your time.
  • Dotty123Dotty123 Member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Sorry sorry I’m 63yrs old med build my illness is my little and next two fingers are permantly bent over into my palm hand I can’t cut finger nails have wait till they break esa seem think I can work yet can’t dress eat drink loo big problem can’t carry pick up things if only very painful thank you 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 9,035 Scope community team
    Hi @HarryVS, I hope your research goes well!
    Community Partner
    Scope
Sign in or join us to comment.