Help! PIP Paper Appeal.. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help! PIP Paper Appeal..

djc1991
djc1991 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
edited November 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone 

I originally applied for PIP on 5th November 2018, assessed on HV and no points awarded; MR unsuccessful and appeal pending. 

Im just wondering if anyone’s know any timescales for an appeal as it’s been almost 1 year since I claimed? 

Also the chances of my appeal being successful; I’ve since been placed in the SG for ESA/UC due to mental and physical ailments. 

Im based in South Wales; not sure if this effects wait times.. 

thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Backlogs are huge in most areas with lots of people waiting in excess of 1 year for a hearing date. You can ring HMCTS and ask how much longer they expect you'll be waiting. It's only a guide but it will give you some idea.

Unfortunately, no one can tell you whether you'll be successful because no one knows exactly how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. PIP and ESA are different benefits, with different criteria. Appearing in person gives you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

Hopefully not too much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @djc1991. :)
    I'm sorry your application and MR were unsuccessful. Best of luck with the tribunal, I hope you won't be waiting too much longer. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @djc1991 and a warm welcome to the community! I am sorry we are unable to help you further. Please do have a look around and let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• djc1991
    Thanks Guys! 

The DWP failed to respond to the appeal so it’s now been sent to a judge to look at; unsure whether this is to make the final decision or whether to send it back to the DWP with an extension for their response. ??‍♀️

Its a paper appeal as i don't leave my home so hopefully I get some response soon. 

I have severe mental health problems, asthma, ethers-danlos syndrome, skin dermatitis, hepatosplenomegaly and I’m under assessment for borderline personality or bipolar disorder.

It’s just a waiting game I suppose. 

thanks again 

• Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for sharing this with us @djc1991 and best of luck with your claim! 
    Scope

• djc1991
    Hi everyone

DWP have still not responded to the appeal so the tribunal now sent letter to both my self and the DWP it has outlined 7 directions for both the DWP and myself; which I don’t quite understand. 

They've now said the appeal is to be listed for an oral hearing on the first available date however I should be aware that this could be delayed if the DWP do not respond in time. 
    The DWP are to attend and explain their failure to comply with the tribunals requests. 
    The DWP must give a full explanation of their reason.
    I as the appellant am to submit; all papers and letters received from DWP relating to the appeal and any further evidence in support of the appeal etc 
    I/my rep is supposed to supply a written submission on my behalf detailing all conditions etc. 
    It states that if the DWP respond in the next 7 days then appeal should be listed in normal manner. 
    If a response is received after 28 days but prior to hearing that the reasonings they supply should not apply. 

I’m just really confused as to what I have to do next?
    Will I have to attend this oral hearing? - I don’t leave my home so this will be very difficult for me. 
    What other information could I provide? I have submitted 3 written statements from family/carers which explain my behaviours and how my conditions effect me. 
    Will my medical records or a letter from my GP help? 

This has been going on since November 2018 and I honestly don’t know what to do. 

Thanks 

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    The same thing happened to me the DWP failed to respond and a date was set for my hearing i then wrote to the tribunal and said i will not be attending the hearing  due to medical reasons  it still went ahead and i won 
  • Chloe_Scope
    This is amazing news! So happy for you @markyboy!!
    Scope

• djc1991
    I’ve just had an email to notify me that the DWP have now responded to my appeal - 6 months later - and that I don’t need to do anything. 

Anyone know now what’ll happen next and if I’m to attend if I requested a paper hearing? 

Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    My advice is to contact HMCTS and ask because we couldn't tell you what the Tribunal would prefer you to do but almost always they will prefer everyone to attend in person.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • djc1991
    I’ll do that for her today. 

Thanks 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I hope you got on okay @djc1991. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.