Redundancy and universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Redundancy and universal credit

Options
brilliantj
brilliantj Community member Posts: 30 Connected
edited October 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello everyone.  I have an autistic son who is nearly 20. He does get higher rate PIP.  He has finished his education and can't do anything else (even with support) so he's at home full time.  Working FTC and Child Benefit have stopped and in August I applied for Universal credit - FOR HIM (still no payments as yet!)  As he can't leave the house (because his anxiety levels/rigid thinking/OCD) we have had to ask the DWP to come out to validate all his paperwork.  Even then, I had to go to the job center because they wouldn't accept the DWP officer's correspondence!!!!  When I got home he'd trashed the place (and I now have very square saucepans!!)  Anyway, I'm trying to claim Universal Credit for him, but now he's waiting for a medical assessment (please GOD let it be at home!!).  If (and knowing them it will be a big IF) they say he can't work will he get some sort of disabled premium?  I'm due to me made redundant from my little part time job at Christmas and have having difficulty finding something else, because I need so much flexibility. I can't claim UC for myself as I've been told I will have to live off my redundancy/savings.  If I claim carers allowance does that pay my national insurance contribution will be paid (if I'm not working) and also will me claiming carers allowance affect his PIP or Universal Credit?  Bear in mind I won't be claiming UC for myself, only him.  Sorry for the ramble. Blessings to you all x

Comments

• Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @brillantj,

If your son is found unfit for work following his assessment then he could be placed in one of two groups. The first one, limited Capability for Work, does not pay any extra. The second one is called the Limited Capability for Work Related Activity (LCWRA) group and he would get an extra monthly amount of £336.20 per month paid from the 4th month of the claim.

I can see from your previous posts that @poppy123456 has given you advice about letting the assessors know about your son's issues and requesting a paper assessment.

If your son is getting PIP then you could claim Carers Allowance if you are earning less than £123 per week or you are not working. You will get NI credits if you claim.

Claiming Carers Allowance will not affect your son's PIP or his UC claim.

This would be counted as income if you claim UC when your savings/redundancy go under the £16,000 limit.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • brilliantj
    Options
    Thank you Joanne. Slightly confused as the cab told me today that they will take my carers allowance away from him? Your response was very well worded so thank you x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @brilliantj, you claiming Carer's Allowance definitely won't affect his PIP and isn't taken away from him. If he were claiming SDP it would stop his entitlement to that, but as he's on Universal Credit he has no entitlement to that anyway. 

Community Manager
    Scope
  • brilliantj
    Options
    Thank you Adrian :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.