DFG...disabled facilities grant — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DFG...disabled facilities grant

pollyanna1052
pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2019 in Coffee lounge
About 6 years ago, an OT came out and saw my difficulties with the then current bathroom. It was small and pokey. I just about managed when I used a walker, but when I became a wheelchair user, it was impossible!

OT said I definitely needed a wet room..which we sacrificed a spare bedroom for. She fast tracked my need for a Disabled Facilities Grant.

A year later, I rang to ask where I was on the list. I was told number 161!!!!!!! So we arranged a bank loan and agreed to a term of 7 years. So we`re still paying it off.

I have recently been forced to pay towards my care package after 8 years of having nil charges. The charge is £57.22 a week.
In calculating my cost I was told they dont take loans into consideration, even though they know why I had to take it out.

When my hubby asked about this, he was told we should`ve waited for the council to do the work...even though I was unable to use my commode in the bathroom. Imagine how undignified it is to have to `go to the loo` in any other room but the toilet!

The reply to this was `she could`ve had a bed bath!` What about the need to let fresh warm water cleanse my supra pubic catheter.....what about the hair shampooing? What about a pain relieving hot shower? What about dignity? 
I despair...I really do. The fight goes on!

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.