What's a good way to get mortgage advice? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's a good way to get mortgage advice?

ESABenefitsUK123
ESABenefitsUK123 Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
When I mean "What's a good way to get mortgage advice", I mean for someone who is not working due to health problems, and also, would like to see if there's any way that I could get some kind of mortgage using my benefits payments.  Thanks a lot for any comments.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @ESABenefitsUK123.
    We have some information about getting a mortgage using benefits on our website, but there's also some on Money Advice Service.
    I hope they help!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    You might also want to talk to your bank. 
  • Noir123
    Noir123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My best friend suggested I invest in buying a property with her to live but I know I couldn't be named on a mortgage. If I decided to do that and was named on the deed house to share would I still be able to keep my benefits. We have know each other from childhood and i trust her, though I would like to know my legal rights as a disabled person, I don't know how this would work. I have little savings under 3 thousand. I have pip also.

Kind regards
    Julie

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Noir123 said:
    My best friend suggested I invest in buying a property with her to live but I know I couldn't be named on a mortgage. If I decided to do that and was named on the deed house to share would I still be able to keep my benefits. We have know each other from childhood and i trust her, though I would like to know my legal rights as a disabled person, I don't know how this would work. I have little savings under 3 thousand. I have pip also.

Kind regards
    Julie

Why do you think you can't be named on a mortgage? Property you live in is disregarded for all means tested benefits. How are you planning on finding the money to invest in a property with your friend? Obtaining a mortgage while claiming benefits is very difficult.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Noir123
    Noir123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    So I can be named on the deed? I have severe anxiety I over analyse everything.  I have savings under 3 thousand I was going to gift it to my friend  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.