Have had to do a 2nd assessment for PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have had to do a 2nd assessment for PIP

Options
krailton61
krailton61 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello
I am an appointee for my son who is 16 and going from DLA to PIP. we had a assessment at home on the 20th August. The lady assessor was vey nice and spent 90 munites going through everything.
i then receved a letter 2 weeks letter again from the assessment centre so do another assessment. When I phoned to ask why the lasy said they needed more information and i had not answered my phone. Then when phoned again to ask for a copy of that report they said it did not pass the quality chek and would have to do another. 
We did this assessment on the 1st October and thi assessor knew nothing of the first report. He rushed through the assessment and was done in 30 minutes.
I asked for a copy and received this and looks like we only received 2 points though waiting on the letter from PIP with the award.
The report had the same comment on every page that because my son attends college and passed his GCSEs he can do everything and this was on the justification for descriptors choice but he did not tick the boxes 
I oiginally sent everything in all hospital letters about his diagnoses and he has a EHCP which describes all the problems he has.
I did notice that at the end of every question on the report it says 
My question is  how do i get a copy of that first report as that must be somewhere? I have already started doing a MR in readiness.
Thank you

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome, as you must, may know PIP is not awarded on a diagnosis, illness or the amount of prescription drugs you are taking. PIP is awarded on your son's abilities to preform the PIP descriptiors in a repeatable, safely and in a timely manner during his daily living activities. When applying for PIP you should have read the descriptors and wrote how your son's abilities to preform each one giving examples each time he attempts or trys to preform the descriptior you are writing about.. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @krailton61 I had something similar happen in my migrating from DLA to PIP last year. The first assessor made me feel ill at ease, making what she said was just a joke about my profession, which I felt totally inappropriate. She just sat there typing away; kept on saying she would come back later to elaborate on the difficulties I was trying to describe, but didn't. Argued with me, saying I didn't have a wet room, etc. I was in about an hour.

A few days later, I was asked further questions, when I was phoned by a very understanding man, who said he checked assessment reports.

Then I got a letter saying I had to go to another assessment. I rang up thinking it was a clerical error, & found, as you did, that my assessment was probably incomplete, so I needed to get assessed again, but probably to just be asked a few questions.

The 2nd assessor said she knew nothing about a previous report, & that it would be another full assessment. This lady was lovely, & showed great empathy. Again the assessment was close to an hour long.

A week later, I rang asking for a report on my 2nd assessment, then thought to ask for that of my first assessment, to be told there was no such report; it didn't exist on their system!

So I think I was in a similar situation to your experience helping your son (only I had the better assessor 2nd time around). So, perhaps a report of your son's first assessment may be difficult to find; perhaps deleted?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.