If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Surprise letter

poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 17,680Community champion Disability Gamechanger
Hello my friends,

Well, i'm not sure where to start because i truely am very shocked about this. I'm sure a lot of you already know that i'm a Community Champion here on Scope, even though i do keep quiet about this as much as possible  :D I'm the sort of person that "likes to keep quiet" lol

Well a few days before i moved house i received a letter from Scope telling me that i have been nominated by @Sam_Scope for 2 annual awards. The first award is Empowering others award, for volunteers supporting and empowering disabled people and/or their families. The 2nd award is Scope's volunteer of the year award! It has taken my quite a few days to get over the shock and think whether or not i should post this on the forum. Finally i decided that "yes, i should share this happy news because i'm delighted to hear that i have been thought of in this special way" When i opened the letter and read it i couldn't believe my eyes and actually had to read it about 10 times, then pass it onto my eldest daughter because i thought i was imagining it. :D

I just want you all to know that i don't ever expect any special thank you's for the time i spend advising people here. I just do it because i know how difficult, complicated and extremely stressful the benefit system is. There's so many people out there that are struggling to claim the benefits they are entitled to and to begin with i thought if i can just help one person claim the benefits they are entitled to then i'm happy. Little did i realise at the time that, that one person has most likely gone onto be hundreds and that makes me so happy.

I'm never really very good with words but i'm totally blown away by this letter and i still can't quite believe it.

I've made some really lovely friends on here since i became a Community Champion and i would hate to think of life without all of you.

Whether i win or not makes no difference at all because being nominated has made my week!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Poppy :)
Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.

Replies

• CressidaCressida Posts: 346Member Pioneering
    @poppy123456 that is such great news! You absolutely do deserve an award! Is there somewhere we can vote for you :) Your complex knowledge on all benefit claims always amazes me. On another note I really hope your recent move went well and you are settling in nicely. 

• poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 17,680Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    @atlas46 thank you for such kind words, as always then mean a lot. Thank you again for all your support here!

As for the acceptance speeches, i'm not sure about that as i'm sure there's other worthy winners too. I'm just happy with those nominations. B)
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Ami2301Ami2301 Posts: 6,162Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Wooo! Go @poppy123456! You thoroughly deserve the recognition and all the hard work you do! Rooting for you!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Posts: 5,362Administrator Scope community team
    It's very much deserved @poppy123456. You do an incredible job helping countless people and often in especially challenging circumstances. Well done. :smile:
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
    @Ami2301 thank you my dear friend for such lovely words! :smile:
    @Adrian_Scope thank you so much! I have a lump in my throat from such kind words. Helping others just comes naturally to me and what ever my circumstances i always seem to put others before myself.

I can't believe all these kind words from everyone... i need another tissue!
  • paffuto10paffuto10 Posts: 388Member Pioneering
    Great news @poppy123456   

I'm still quite new here but I often see your friendly helpful comments  :)

Good luck in your new home xx
  • susan48susan48 Posts: 2,229Member Disability Gamechanger
  • zakbloodzakblood Posts: 419Member Pioneering
    congratulation and well deserved 
  • thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 6,033Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @poppy123456   Want to add my voice my friend in congratulations.  

You do a lot for every one and especially supportive of those who are struggling understanding a system.

No matter how busy you are. You have time for every one.

That to me is a true quality of a community champion.  Having the ability to give those members of the community.

A kind, compassionate approach.  With honesty and being open.

Pleasure to have met you. Always happy to talk to you any time and thanks very much being a friend.

Your friend.

@thespiceman
    @thespiceman aww thank you my friend for such lovely words.

All the Community Champions deserve an award in my opinion.

You're a very sweet person and i'm honoured to call you my friend. Always happy to talk to you too, anytime.

Your friend Poppy.
  • thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 6,033Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    Hello @poppy123456  My friend .  Thanks very much for kind words 

Good to know thank you for supporting me and listening. 

Like to say the same . Honoured and have respect for you. Feel humbled.

Always here to listen to you as well.  Anytime. 

Hope you had a great day.

Speak soon .

Take care.

Your friend the one and only

@thespiceman

• Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 7,732Member Disability Gamechanger
    @poppy123456 it is so well deserved and it is a pleasure to have you as part of our team <3
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
    Sam_Scope said:
    @poppy123456 it is so well deserved and it is a pleasure to have you as part of our team <3
    Thank you for your very kind words! <3
  • Government_needs_reformGovernment_needs_reform Posts: 850Member Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    @poppy123456 my friend, I hope everything is good with new place, where have I been good lord? I've just noticed this. As you know I'm always campaigning on some very big issues regarding the benefits system going on at the moment? What with the government getting a GE going it's being a busy time to get the message across to people, now we hope where in a change of governments it's NOW needed. You know what I mean.👍

Anyway it's good to read you've been nominated for a coupe of awards for Scope Poppy (D)❤️ it's a nice feeling when people respect what you do, that's why I like campaigning for change.

I must echo what others have said, you do a fantastic job helping people understand this benefits system. As you know is a very daunting task finding your away around all the paperwork we all receive regarding the DWP.

So Poppy a BIG well done from me (D) your friend❤️ I sent you a PM last week I think🤣 not sure if you read that one.

⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election video for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• WillwillWillwill Posts: 67Member Courageous
    Well deserved @poppy123456 ,,, in a short time we have had correspondence , you have Enlighted    me with your expertise , and for others on this forum , once again my gratitude to you ,, all the best 
    de Will

P.S. Just to make  you "giggle"  ,, had phone call with ""you know  who"" yesterday  ,,,,I had to get the hoover out again , but alas,, I put the cat outside  first :D
    @Government_needs_reform thank you my friend for those kinds words, they mean a lot.

I could definitely use a few kind words right now... way too much stress in my life right now, hurt my knee on a door frame today and almost fell over twice in the process. I definitely knocked something out of me, that's for sure. Holding on by a very small string right now :(

Oh well, i'll carry on smiling and advising, the best way i can.

You always do amazing work with campaigning and you'll always have my support!

Hope you're well?!

I'll have a look through my messages and dig out the last one you sent. Sorry if i missed replying to that!

Take care my friend!
    @Willwill thank you also for those kind words!

Thanks also for the chuckle, i needed that tonight! I'm very glad to hear you put the cat out first, that's a such a big relief! :D
    @Gwendoline1 that's very kind of you, thank you! :)
    @poppy123456

I see you had a rough day yesterday.  :(

Hope you're feeling better this morning and that your knee has recovered! x
  • Government_needs_reformGovernment_needs_reform Posts: 850Member Pioneering
    @poppy123456 your always welcome (D) as well as can be in the current climate.❤️ I'm glad my message made you feel a little better. 

Campaigning going pretty good. But? Having people's support is always greatly received. Obviously can't talk much into the politics of it on here as I would get a slap for it. 🤣

There maybe another DWP Court Case coming soon? Just awaiting on some paperwork. They know their in the wrong. It could help greatly if it goes in our favour which it should do. It's been through ICO a few times now & the DWP has been proved wrong with what the DWP is doing...

It's strange you done that to your knee against the door? I myself broke one of my toes on Sunday night it's now black as hell, so I feel like hop a long Cassidy, it's weird we both done something to our already knackered bodies. 😤 

I've forwarded a further reply in a PM. Speak soon sweetie❤️ You know (D).
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election video for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Posts: 1,661Member Disability Gamechanger
    Well done you! And it is quite right that you deserve these 2 awards. You put a lot of effort into answering people`s queries. .including mine. Sometimes the mood of some replies to your advice, is bordering on the unpleasant, but you reply with tact, patience and good humour.

Again, well done you!
    @pollyanna1052 thank you for those kinds words!

I try not to let those members get to me but it's not easy to switch off and ignore them sometimes. :/ I do try to remember the amount of support i have here and the people that do appreciate me, that along with the friends i've made since being here are the reasons why i stay.
    @pollyanna1052 and @poppy123456

"Sometimes the mood of some replies to your advice, is bordering on the unpleasant" 

I know exactly what you mean!! 
    I'm sure some people think that it's Poppy herself who has made the PIP rules!!  :D   :D

Please keep up the good work though Poppy.
    You have helped me a lot in understanding certain criterias, etc. 
    Thankyou. x

Polly, any news yet? Still have fingers and toes crossed for you.  ;)
  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Posts: 1,661Member Disability Gamechanger
    paffuto10 said:
    @pollyanna1052 and @poppy123456

"Sometimes the mood of some replies to your advice, is bordering on the unpleasant" 

I know exactly what you mean!! 
    I'm sure some people think that it's Poppy herself who has made the PIP rules!!  :D   :D

Please keep up the good work though Poppy.
    You have helped me a lot in understanding certain criterias, etc. 
    Thankyou. x

Polly, any news yet? Still have fingers and toes crossed for you.  ;)

No yet xxx
Sign in or join us to comment.